Replace or not to Replace...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by itsamacthing, Feb 26, 2013.

1. itsamacthing macrumors 6502a

In 2 days, my replacement 27 inch iMac will be here. I saw IR two times on my iMac and Apple insisted on replacing it. I have not seen it since then, and wondering if it was some sort of a breaking in thing. My iMac has been running 24/7 for 3 weeks and no single other issue. Very tempted to just keep this one...who knows what kind of trouble this next one can bring to my happy home. Thoughts...

2. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

3. smoking monkey, Feb 26, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

If you got Applecare then IR can warrant a replacement screen at any time during those 3 years. Even in the final week of the 3rd year (I know, I did it). So if you are happy with it and it hasn't come back, then keep it.

BUT I'm confused by IR to be honest. MY old 24 exhibited it after a while and the replacement screen almost from the beginning.

My new 27 2012 has nothing. And I write at my computer a lot with the same page in the same place for hours on end and not a single bit of IR.

Has IR got anything to do with the heat of the computer? Is anybody without the 680mx experiencing IR? Just curious...

4. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

My IR started about a month after I received the iMac. It's not terrible, like some posted here, but you can see faint outlines of my dock and safari window.

BUT it only seems to be affecting the lower right hand side of the display.

There are way worse units out there so I'm just going to keep using this iMac until it gets really bad. It's really only noticeable when I change desktop wallpapers to a more solid design.

Oh, and I have the 680MX, though I don't really tax it to the point of creating anymore heat than any other iMac.

5. perspectivebass macrumors newbie

i had 3 iMacs with 675MX. Two had bad IR, the third was a lot less but i dont want to regret in half year if it gets worse. Have a lot of IPS screens in my office none of them having IR. Just asked my money back in the end. Gues i was really unlucky...

Now waiting on some other hopefully better bach for my iMac. (tempting to wait for an updated mac pro)

6. smoking monkey macrumors 65816

smoking monkey

I used to use a white screen saver on my computer to basically wipe the screen clean. Leave it on for a bit and it would work okay.

7. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

The replacement is here... i will open it up and check it out. Sometimes it's better with the devil you know ;)

8. gCloud macrumors 6502a

check them both side by side for light bleed and take picture pretty please? :)

9. itsamacthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

Set them side by side and tested for yellow... the new one was noticeably yellow compared to my original.

So I have my staff, who are clueless to our Apple insanity come up and look at it. Using http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php she looked at me and said, its sorta darker, umm... she was looking for the right words and said, a little yellow. So it's not just me.

I will check light bleed tonight if I'm still here. My office is too bright to test for that right now.

Well, keeping my original for now...have not seen any IR since that one time a few weeks ago.

10. gCloud macrumors 6502a