Replace or Repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by taylorwilsdon, Nov 26, 2007.

1. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I'm having a bunch of problems with my computer but I'm not going to send it off to be serviced or leave it anywhere for more then a day. I don't have my computer, I don't have any money - thats a problem. Its more expensive for me to send it to be repaired for a couple weeks then it is to buy a new one and keep doing my things.

So my question is, will apple replace or repair? I've got a few month old sr macbook pro that has the following problems:

Bottom right of the screen is messed up - there are "light patches" where the pixels look like they're about to die but haven't quite yet. Quite a few (200 pixels worth, perhaps?)

Wireless is awful - this might be a documented issue but it doesn't fly with me and I've heard newer models don't have this problem. I drop off wifi after about an hour, it can't reconnect after sleep, etc, etc.

Fans go crazy - the temp will be low (110+-10 farenheit) and the fans will go to 6000rpm on their own accord doing stuff like browsing the web, using itunes.

Crashes - not doing anything out of the ordinary, its crashed upon boot before. Disk check always comes up clean, RAM is fine, it happened before I upgraded the RAM and everything else is stock. It is also crazy slow sometimes (unexplainably) compared to my iMac with 1/4th the RAM.

Doesn't shut down somtimes - it will just sit there for like 20 minutes before I hold down the power button to kill it. Likewise, restarts are a pain too.

I think alot of this stuff started after I upgraded to Leopard.

Couple of things: I have 4gb RAM, should I swap it to Apple factory before taking it in or will they repair/replace with a 4gb model?

If repair, how long will it take. I assume I need a new wifi card, new screen and possibly new logic board if they decide to repair.

Just looking for opinions and suggestions, thanks!

2. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

The first time, Apple will try to fix it. Don't expect the service provider to be too thrilled that you're bringing in all these problems at once, because Apple reduces the amount it pays for service by a certain percentage when there are multiple problems with an item (or something along those lines, according to the dealer that fixed my MacBook). Repairs will likely take less than 1 week. And if you originally bought it as a 4GB model and Apple does replace it, the replacement will have 4GB, but if you added the extra RAM yourself, as stated in your post, then Apple will return your RAM to you and ask you for the original RAM (as they did with the HD that I upgraded when it failed).

3. taylorwilsdon thread starter macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yuck. I guess I'll have to drop in and see if they can do me a favor (or at least swap this damn wifi card out - thats the most annoying part)