Replace Original SSD with OWC Mercury Aura Pro Expres SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by castillo4141, Sep 9, 2011.

1. castillo4141, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

castillo4141 macrumors member

So, I'm planning on getting one OWC SSD on a MBA 11" soon. I read the specs and decided it's worth the upgrade, specially since the MBA has 128Gb, that extra space will be nice. The problem is... what can I do with the remaining original SSD? So...any ideas? I'm not planning on selling it or trade it. Maybe some external storage device, like a USB Pendrive?

By the way...should I better wait for Blade SSDs with SATAIII speed? I think the 2011 MBA can support them.

Thanks!

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Keep it for when you need to get the machine serviced.

3. castillo4141 thread starter macrumors member

I thought there was no issues with the warranty...like with the HDDs or RAM in a MBP, well is nice to know.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

There will likely be no issues with warranty service (unless you caused the issues when replacing the drive). But do you really want to send your 3rd party drive off to Apple on the chance that they replace the machine? There's always the probability in the case of a machine swap that you don't get your drive back. Do you really want to take that risk?

5. crspechicn macrumors newbie

I always thought that if Apple can tell you opened your machine that's not supposed to be user-serviceable, they can void the AppleCare. I've been operating under that assumption anyways.

On MBPs, you have to open the bottom to replace the RAM, which they give you a guide online on how to do. The MBA is not supposed to be opened as far as I know.

Someone please correct me so I can open mine up and not worry about it.

6. castillo4141 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, I didn't picture that scenario. Well, that wasn't my concern, because I want to keep it anyways, but I want to make use of it, that's my problem. OWC doesn't seem to be incluiding a "case" for the original SSD, so maybe I can build one, or buy one.

7. Beaverman3001 macrumors 6502

I sold my drive after replacing it with an OWC one. There is always the minor risk I'll need a old one for servicing of some sort but I doubt it. That probably more so depends on what genius you talk to and what the problem is.

I don't know about you but I only keep a computer for 1-2 years before upgrading (got this MBA in January) so it just isn't worth the lost money to keep the old drive to me. Was able to get some decent money on eBay for my old one that made buying the OWC one not as painful.

8. castillo4141 thread starter macrumors member

So what about the SATAIII SSDs for MBA? Coming soon? or there is not point on waiting for it?

I think the only way I can make something usable with the original SSD will be by using some other MBA logic board and recycle parts...gonna be a long run for that.

9. coolguy1 macrumors member

I thought new 2011 Airs already use Toshiba SATAIII drives