Replace/Recommendations Hard Drive on iMac 20" Screen 2005 Model

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shenandoah, Sep 13, 2012.

1. shenandoah macrumors newbie

My 2005 20" screen iMac is still going strong, since purchased in 2005. Really, both mine and my hubby's. I'd like to replace the internal hard drive with 1tb hard drive. From what I read, any 3.5" SATA hard drive will be compatible. I'm looking at the Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop Hard Drive Bulk/OEM - WD1002FAEX on Amazon.com for $99.98. Any other recommended brand/model? What dimensions should I look for? Once I find a good recommended model, I'll shop around for price (Newegg, ebay, etc).

Thanks!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

They are all the same. Any 3.5" drive will do. The Caviar Black is a great drive. When you open up the iMac, check that the capacitors are not bulging on top or leaking.

3. jrcsh6 macrumors 6502

jrcsh6

4. shenandoah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    I see there are Seagate, Samsung, Western Digital and Toshiba, on ebay - anyone have experience or recommend one brand above another? Issues, etc?

5. shenandoah thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, any issues with going above 1 Tb?

----------

Rotation speed?

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any size is fine (the limit is something like 144 petabytes!). I would stick with 7200RPM.

7. shenandoah thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question - for my 2005 20" screen iMac, is there a difference with SATA I, II, or III?

----------

I'm looking at the Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX 2TB SATA III 7200 64mb. I just don't know if there is a difference or if the SATA III will not work in my 2005 20" iMac?

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

No difference for your iMac. The drive will drop to the speed of your iMac (SATA I) regardless of the drive's speed.