Replace rMbp pci harddisc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wverveer, Aug 6, 2014.

1. wverveer macrumors newbie

Will it be possible to Change the 128gb flash drive into a biggen one?

It's for the new Regine MacBook 13" version

I'd rather have 16gb ram instead of 256gb harddisc, so maybe i can later Change this? At the moment i don't have the budget for Botha...

Grt mars

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You cannot upgrade the current model retina MBP's SSD. While they're not soldered onto the logic board, no one is selling PCIe SSDs for the rMBP.

The older rMBP/MBAs that use non PCIe have 3rd party products available to them, but so far nothing for the current model

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

No 3rd parties are selling new replacement parts. The only source for PCI-Express drives would be 2nd hand on eBay, and they're going to be very expensive.

4. wverveer thread starter macrumors newbie

Oké thanks, so hopefully the thoughts are positive that the 3rd party's Will also produce for the 2014 models...

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure why we haven't seen any since Transcend rolled out a new line of SSDs for the older rMBPs, and OWC has been selling these for some time.

6. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Yes and no. I personally have. Check my signature for my config. Its 100% possible assuming you can find one. As the other posters have said no one sells them yet. But I had a MacBook air 2013 with a 256ssd and I bought a retina 2013 with a 128 and swapped the ssds on them and then I sold the air with the 128 from the rmbp