Replace Screen on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ross.32, Dec 15, 2008.

1. ross.32 macrumors 6502

My MacBook Pro's backlight on its screen went out yesterday. My warranty is out by a little over a week. I have the model that came out right before they had multi touch trackpads (November 2007 I believe).

I took it to my ITStore here on campus and they said I would have to replace the entire screen. Would the new LED backlit screens work on my computer? Here is a link for the screen that I would like to get (http://www.powerbookmedic.com/xcart1/product.php?productid=16979), the 3rd one on the list.

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. SwitchingtoMAC macrumors member

SwitchingtoMAC

the new led screen wont work on older models, typically if your lcd needs to be replaced it would be a new one but for what ever model you have

4. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

That sucks. LED would have been nice. Any reason why it won't work?
    So the 2nd one on the list will work? It is the one I have now.

5. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

For starters, it probably won't even fit.
    Next it won't likely have any of the mounting brackets for your model.
    Then there is a HUGE difference between powering a fluorescent bulb vs. an LED array.
    Due to the above, you won't even be able to fit the new controller cards.

Just going to have to accept that you can't have LED unless you are an engineer.

6. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

The MBP 3,1 (introduced Jul 2007) had an LED screen. This was the model right before the multitouch trackpads.

7. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

Only the 15 inch had the LED screens, mine does not. I will order the other one.

8. MDoby macrumors newbie

This most likely has nothing to do with the backlighting on your screen. Rather it's the NVIDIA graphics chip that went bad. Apple has agreed to fix this problem for free for up to two years. See: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

9. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Ah, 17". My mistake.

10. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

I don't know what an ITStore is, but I do know how you can determine if your gpu failed. Connect your MBP to an external monitor. If it gets signal, your display/backlight is bad. If it doesn't show anything, then your nvidia gpu is crap like everybody else's. Call applecare and get your free service and replacement.

11. ross.32 thread starter macrumors 6502

It is the backlight. I am running my MBP on an external screen now. I am ordering the new screen as we speak. Thanks for the help everyone!