Replace SSD in 27" iMac (late 2012)...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dilgit, Jun 7, 2013.

1. dilgit macrumors regular

I am running out of space on my internal 128GB SSD on my 27" iMac(late 2012). It's a fusion 128GB SSD +3TB HDD. Is it possible to exchange just the SSD with a larger one like a 256GB SSD or even 512GB? I understand that these should be blade type SSD. Is there a video tutorial of how to do this?

2. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Why is the big question.

The whole point of Fusion is when the SSD is full it moves files and programs to the HDD so most of the time you won't see a speed difference.

So why do you need a new bigger blade SSD?

3. dilgit thread starter macrumors regular

Because the HDD is slow. Simple.. Anyone else?

4. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

So why didn't you just get a bigger SSD and not use Fusion, you spent some $400 for the 3Tb Fusion?

Hove you tried Fusion and how do you know some of your files are not already on the HDD?

5. apedance macrumors member

no! the hdd is fast for a 7200rpm hdd.

external ssd via thunderbolt/usb3 ?

6. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

So many people in real work tests can't tell the difference between fusion and SSD. You're very convinced. Just try living with your 3TB of space before you want to start opening things up

7. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

I still don't see why someone would spend an extra $400 on the 3Tb Fusion and only use the 128Gb SSD. $400 will almost pay for the 512Gb SSD now.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Maybe some people still like doing things the old way? I have separate SSD + HDD in my iMac and it works fine.

9. Lancer macrumors 68020

Lancer

Yes but my point is the OP clearly spend extra to get the iMac with a bigger HDD and Fusion, money they would have been better off putting towards a SSD.

Now maybe they got it before the new SSD options or they got it on a deal.

But if you're bent on a bigger SSD then I think your best option is to ditch the HDD and replace it with a SSD, don't set up Fusion and just run your OS and programs from the 128Gb blade and put your other files on the new SSD.

I have heard you can also run Fusion with 2x SSDs if you want to.

JMHO

10. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

Do you intend on running the new, larger SSD in Fusion configuration? Or as two separate drives?

11. MeatRocket macrumors regular

I've researched the hell out of this, so I'll just answer it. The SSD can be replaced with a bigger one, but there are caveats. 1) You aren't going to find a direct replacement. Apple only made 128GB blade SSDs for the iMac. Your best bet is to look at the solution by MaxUpgrades here....
    https://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=402

This will involve you tearing it down or sending it to them. You're essentially putting a proprietary Apple connector to SATA port converter in the iMac and running an SSD to it.

I, like others here, question why you would need to do this IF you're running Fusion though. The only time you'd feel the bottle-neck of the 128GB flash is if you're writing MASSIVE amounts of data constantly that floods 128GB worth of flash. Hopefully you're not doing this thinking you're going to get a huge performance boost cause you're not. Anyway, I hope I've helped.

12. MeatRocket macrumors regular