Replace superdrive in mbp intel with superdrive from iBook G4

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klonsky, Aug 9, 2011.

1. klonsky macrumors newbie

Good day to all!

The superdrive in my mbp 2.5GHz 17" Intel Core Duo failed on me, and cannot be repaired (says my Apple tech).

A new drive would cost me over 120$ where I live. I just spent some 200$ on a new battery, and would like NOT to spend much more on a device I barely use (except for importing the occasional music album in iTunes).

I have a dead iBook G4, I am not sure wether they use the same drive specs (in terms of size and firmware), but the difference is obviously speed and lack of dual layer burning.

Has anybody recycled a superdrive from their iBooks in a macbook pro?
    The Apple tech says it doesn't work because of firmware differences which will make the mbp freeze / crash / become unstable.

Any opinion? Ideally from people who tried it successfully / unsuccessfully?

Thank you!

2. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i say the ibook uses a pata or the ide is another term superdrive so its not compatible try ebay if you can and see if you can find one that works but cheap

3. macfan74318 macrumors member

4. klonsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, thanks for the answers so far :)

@ ljonesj: I think both of them are PATA. If so would it be the same connector?
    My mbp is the early 2008 model, my iBook early 2004.

@ macfan: well trouble is I live in Lebanon, and nearly everything I find on ebay do not ship international. + I don't have much trust in the handling here at customs...

I still have the options to either wait for a while and buy a drive (or change my laptop!) or get an external one. But if I can successfully recycle the iBook's instead of throwing it away, that would be peachy :eek:

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Why don't you simply crack it open and take a look? It can't hurt anything and you'll know for sure instead of having us speculate on an internet forum.