Replace the Sport watch band?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by shacky, Mar 15, 2015.

1. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

My plan is to order a Sport watch and ditch the ugly band. I will be able to get slider hardware, right?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Yes, you can get whatever band you want as long as it's available in the size your watch is. That ugly band you're referring to is $49 I wouldn't ditch it.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

If nothing else, it will come in handy if your replacement band is ever damaged.

4. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

keep that band for any time you work out, run, go outside in the rain... the others aren't water resistant

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

What's your source on this? Apple's website only mentions that the leather bands aren't water resistant.

6. mchoffa macrumors 6502a

Sorry, you're right. Not that they technically AREN'T water resistant, but I'm just assuming you don't want to get a milanese loop band or link bracelet all sweaty. Personally, I would only do anything like that in the sport band and keep the others nice and clean/dry.

7. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

Link bracelets can get sweaty just fine. They are easily rinsed and SS dries just fine. The only reason I won't shower with the SS Link is that I do not want soap residues to potentially build up or dull it. That shouldn't happen with good quality steel but I do not want to risk it.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Same reason I don't shower with my omega. Soap gets between the links and annoys me.

9. shacky thread starter macrumors regular

shacky

Well, I wouldn't throw away the Sport band. I would keep it, if for no other reason, for resale value.

What I really meant to ask is, if I want to buy an aftermarket band, will I likely be able to get the slider hardware to accommodate it. Personally, I really don't like the sport bands but am fine with the sport watch, so I want to buy a sport watch and put a aftermarket band on it. Hopefully, right away.

10. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

Right now, only Apple bands will attach to the Watch. It's a unique attachment. Eventually they'll be 3rd party bands that will work.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The slider part of the Sports band looks like it's integrated into the band -- it's not a separate piece that can come off.

I think third party bands, if any is made, will come with their own slider mechanism.

If you want to attach a regular watch band, there was a kickstarter campaign for a band adapter. Sorry, I don't have the link.