Replace TV with iMac and EyeTV?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sonicrobby, Jul 17, 2013.

1. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I was considering getting an iMac for my room. I currently dont have a spot for this desktop except for where my 32" TV currently is. After doing some research, I found this nifty device (EyeTV) which would take a coax cable and convert it to USB to watch on a computer. They even have a feature to where I can stream to my other devices such as my iPad. So it seems like a win win right?

I know the fabled iTV should be out by the end of 2014. So should I give up my 720p 32" tv for a 27" imac + and eyeTV? Also if any of you have any experience, is there any quality loss or lag from the eyetv compared to just a direct connection?

This is not a need, I have another mac I use, and my tv works fine, but money is somewhat burning a hole in my pocket. The iMac just has that AppleMagnetic attraction, where I know I dont need it, but its so beatiful that I must have it. And I know I probably wouldnt regret it. But cant be so sure right? So what's your opinion? should I move forward with this beatiful yet unecessary setup? Or hold out for a possibly much better device that may only come in screen sizes that wouldnt practically "fit" in my room?

Any obvious pros and cons are highly appreciated!

2. fa8362 macrumors 65816

There is a slight quality loss, but you'd have to look very closely to see it. On the other hand, your direct connection doesn't record, pause, or enable you to skip commercials. Before I bought the eyeTV device, however, I'd look into the SiliconDust units with two or more tuners. I use a SiliconDust dual with eyeTV software. Works great.

http://www.silicondust.com/

3. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Does the silicondust broadcast its own signal? or will it rely on my wifi? My network has character...

4. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Also, how are the speakers on the iMac? How far can one hear it turned with the volume turned all the way up?

5. rei101 macrumors 6502a

I would be so annoying starting up the iMac and shooting it down every time and having the keyboard and mouse around still.

6. sonicrobby thread starter macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I would leave it on the whole time :p
    I would either lower the screen brightness down all the way or put it to sleep when I would want to "turn it off" I guess. And I would probably use Splashtop to remotely control the iMac from my iPad, so I wouldnt really use the keyboard and mouse :D

Im trying to think of every possible scenario so Im not disappointed in the end.

7. Lornaevo macrumors member

Lornaevo

How well does Silicondust homerun hd prime work with eyetv and time warner cable?

8. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

I have not owned actual TV in over a decade and have for that time been using my computer with extra monitor and tv card when I had PC for watching it. When I switched to Mac just over five years ago I went with a WinTV HVR a purely USB solution unlike the EyeTV box which has hardware decoder in it. I have never noticed any lag or loss of quality in the signal. One thing I would possibly worry about with a 27" is the extra resolution it is going to have over the signal you will feed it at 720p the monitor will have double the resolution (it is 1440p if my memory serves me well on the specifications) so you may get either black bars on the top/bottom or stretched to fill going on. Depending on how the signal is handled by the EyeTV software you need to use to get your signal on the screen. Another thing to think about is how the signal gets to the computer ie. cable box or satellite receiver depending on whether it is encrypted or not you may have to use the EyeTV box as a simple pass through unit with your cable box/satellite receiver acting as the signal decoder so you can watch the channels.