replace unibody macbook pro bezel with aluminum anti glare bezel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fleali88, Feb 12, 2010.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

I want to know if there is some where i could purchase the part for the 15 inch unibody macbook pro's with the anti-glare option (aluminum bezel and matte lcd), to replace my glass/glossy lcd from my late 2008 unibody. I looked up the tech restore option but its looks crappy, id much rather pay for the parts and see if its swappable.

2. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

A new display assembly (what you would have to get) Means, MacBook Pro backplate, Display isight + microphone, will cost you 500-700$ better get a high end matte external display

3. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Probably wouldn't cost a whole lot more to sell your MBP and get the refurbished model with anti-glare screen.

4. shifuimam macrumors newbie

Technically speaking, there's no reason why it wouldn't be swappable.

You don't need to get an entirely new display assembly - if you were able to find just the silver bezel and the matte LCD, you can do a direct swap. The rest of the hardware shouldn't need to be swapped out; I imagine that the LCD cable between the matte and glossy options is identical, so it's just a direct LCD swap.

I have no experience with that myself; it's just speculation from the experience I do have with upgrading and swapping out laptop displays.

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

The biggest question isn't whether it would even work but where the hell you would get one? Apple and Genius Bar won't sell it to you.

6. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

The authorized service centers should be able to purchase whatever parts they need from Apple.

7. Ams MBP macrumors newbie

cracked glass

Has anyone been successful in ordering the original apple aluminum bezel for the 15" late 2008 MBP??? and where can I get it???

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

As Alvi said above, the MBP display is sold as a single pre-assembled unit, so there's no way to purchase just the aluminum bezel to swap out on the glossy display. You have to buy the entire top lid.

Perhaps TechRestore's matte screen replacement service would be more cost effective for you.

9. riggatoney macrumors newbie

find the silver bezel

these dudes are wrong, you can absolutely swap it. you can find the screen online no doubt, but how to get the silver bezel?

i am on the hunt for the silver bezel myself so i will post if i find it. But apparently the LCD is around $230 Average.