Replace unopened black iPhone 4 with white iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dangeresque, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dangeresque macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

Hey everybody. So I know that under normal circumstances, when apple replaces your phone under warranty, they will only replace it with the same color/model number.

Well, I just got off of the phone with AppleCare, and due to me having repeated issues with my iPhone, they're sending me a brand new (sealed in box) black iPhone 4 as a replacement. I asked if they were able to send out a white iPhone, and the representative said that they are unable to do so because the white phone is still so new/in such short supply.

So I'm wondering if you guys think I could swap the unopened black phone for a white one at my local Apple store... Anybody with any idea what their exchange policy is for unopened devices?

2. haticK macrumors 6502a

haticK

they more than likely won't let you get a white one for the same reason you got on the phone

3. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I'd at least give it a shot if that's what you want. I saw one this last week when I was on vacation and in person that phone looks pretty sweet.

4. Dangeresque thread starter macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

Hmm. I guess. I get that it's a stretch, but the way I see it, there's no difference between exchanging an unopened nano for a different color and exchanging an unopened black iPhone for a white one.

Yeah, it looks like a total throwback to the early iPods. I'm a Very Good Way. No skin off my back if it doesnt pan out. Still love the 4.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They wont do it, its against company policy.
    But give it a shot anyway, the worst that could happen is they'll say no.

6. Dangeresque thread starter macrumors newbie

Dangeresque

Yep. Guess I get that for refurb replacements. But I would expect unopened products to be handled as an unopened exchange.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its not an unopened exchange.
    If you had just bought it and didnt open the box and you had the receipt it would be an unopened return. Where they could issue you a refund or just return it without a restocking fee.
    This is a replacement phone that you got thru warranty even though you fail to see it that way.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

AJ says it well but try it there are really only two options

1: yes they will
    2: no they won't

I'm going to pick #2 but no harm in trying.

9. obamtl macrumors regular

No chance in hell! When they said they will send you a new phone, it likely won't come in a retail box either. If your phone has what could be a mechanical fault and you take it to the store, they typically swap if for an OEM phone out of a brown box.

The only way this could happen is if the phone you returned was recently purchased. In that case, they could technically refund unto a gift card, then charge the gift card for the new item, so if you take the new item with the receipt you get back to the store, they could change it for a white model. If you've had the phone for more than 28 days, it's unlikely that they have processed it that way. If you desperately want a white iPhone, go to a retailer that deals in buying used phones and trade in your grade-A (as good as new) black one for a grade-A white one. Obviously, it'd cost you a little.

10. openendstraight macrumors regular

openendstraight

Just sell it on eBay, go to apple and buy a new one.

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816