replace video card or fan??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cave12man, Aug 26, 2008.

1. cave12man macrumors member

just replaced my hard drive thinking it was making these god awfull noises and then realized it was the fan on my video card.

other than feeling like an idiot i was wondering if i could replace just the fan or if i had to replace the entire video card. the card is a GeForce Ti 4600 128mb. It works fine except for the noise.

tnx

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

You're description is vague. More info would help. Does the fan sound like a fan should, and is just running fast, or is it like a high pitched grinding/squeal, etc.? :confused:

BTW, replacement should be possible. I'd assume its a standard size. Just measure and order a new one, preferably a roller/ball bearing type. Shouldn't be too difficult to install. ;)

3. cave12man thread starter macrumors member

almost sounds like a defunct hard drive all scratchy and grinding with a little squeal for good measure. my ipod made these sounds right before it died which made me think that it was the hard drive now. i opened it up and the fan will spin for a sec then seem to go backwards then forwards then shake a little then backwards etc....might possibly be the bearings??

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Since you haven't mentioned any other odd behavior, You need a new fan. :eek:
    Unless you already know the size, measurements will be needed.

Good Luck. :)

P.S. If you've been considering a new graphics card, now would be the time. :p