Replace wireless router with AirPort Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by noiseordinance, Aug 3, 2014.

1. noiseordinance macrumors regular

Hi there. I've about had it with my current Netgear router. I had an Asus router and couldn't get Airplay to work worth a damn (stuttering, random disconnects), and then I bought a Netgear router with the same problem. I'm thinking about getting a $100 dollar AirPort Express from the Apple Store and connecting an 8-port wired switch for my wired connections. Will this work? Is the AirPort Express a standalone router? I'd rather not shell out the extra money for an AirPort extreme. Thanks!

2. Bruno09, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes, and yes. :)

(it does not include a modem though, thus you still need a modem in your network : this might be your current modem-router)

3. waw74 macrumors 68030

airplay is basically just network traffic, and switching to apple won't necessarily make it work better. I would look at the health of your existing network before just jumping to an airport express. It sounds like you have a weak signal or interference from other sources. and an express won't fix that.

The express's wireless coverage isn't as good as some of the other branded routers on the market.

Which netgear router do you have?

take a look for WMM settings, change to the other setting. Might fix it might not.

if you're using the 2.4GHz band, there are several things that can interfere.
    --Cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens (when cooking). - try unplugging them and see if it fixes the problem.

If there are other networks in your area, they can interfere...
    - alt-click on the wifi logo in the menu bar of your mac.
    Select wireless diagnostics
    don't Click continue go to the menu and select "window -> utilities"
    select the wifi scan, and hit scan now
    it will tell you the best channel to select to avoid interference.

4. cube, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014

cube macrumors G5

Bluetooth, cordless mice, wireless speakers are also in this band.

It is a good idea to try to move as much stuff as possible to 5GHz, as it is less congested.