Replaceable SSD on new 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yukari, Oct 30, 2016.

1. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors regular

iKnowMr.Jobs

I'm a little shocked myself but I doubt that a replaceable ssd will be on the market anytime soon. Even when it does happen, will the read/write speeds be equal or greater than what Apple's already putting in? It's already cutting edge. Also, will it actually be cheaper than just upgrading it when ordering? Somehow, I get the feeling that the savings will be minimal.

It's not something to I feel most people will appreciate at the moment, but perhaps down the road, if someone who orders a 256 or 512 that needs more space, obviously upgrading the SSD will be much cheaper than buying a whole new machine, but I don't feel as though people should buy these, hoping that third party SSDs will be comparable in quality and cheaper.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

We'll probably see the same thing happen as with previous models: A third party such as OWC will take 2-3 years to release an option that is slower, has fewer features, and costs the same or more than upgrading on purchase.

3. wegster macrumors 6502

Perhaps we'll be surprised to find it's now a standard interface...naah, who am I kidding? :D
    Waiting for the new 15" benchmarks and tear-downs, though.

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How is it any different from the current models? The interface and connector are different, but it has been possible to replace the SSD in all previous MacBooks as well. Availability of replacement drives is a completely different matter.