Replaced 13'' Macbook Pro loud hard drive with another loud hard drive...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mishnak, Jul 17, 2010.

1. mishnak macrumors newbie

Friends,

I'm looking for a little advice, because I'm at my wit's end.

A little less than a year ago, my then-new amazing 13'' Macbook Pro took a fall, but everything seemed survive intact, except the hard drive (and the warranty). I was really relieved, when I successfully installed a new hd and was even able to recover the data off the old, busted one.

But, right after I started up with the new one, I noticed it was a lot louder (kinda a constant shhhhhhh sound) and would make clicking noises a couple times a minute. I don't know much about hard drives, but I knew these weren't good signs. Still, I kept using it (became really anal about time machine back-ups in the meantime) but kept thinking, soon enough, I'd buy a new one and replace it.

I finally got around to it a couple weeks ago. I replaced a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 500gb, 5400rpm with a Hitachi Travelstar 500gb, 7200rpm. And what did I find?

It's louder! It clicks just as much. Could I just be really unlucky to have bought two loud hard drives in a row? Or could it be something with the laptop's set up that's causing extra noise? Or could the drop have done something to the way the sound is muffled?

I mean, with the new drive in, I can even feel a slight vibration on the trackpad. I've run the disk utility and everything seems fine. Performance is okay, but the physical noise and occasional clicking is both annoying and troubling.

Any ideas?

2. warrena macrumors member

warrena

I have found that some drives are louder than others - even within the same brand - e.g. different 500GB 7200rpm Seagate Momentus are different in noise and vibration - you might just return one and say it is noisy and get another to try.

I usually stick with the Seagate as I have found them to work well overall and most I have had are relatively quiet and low vibration. Faster drives (7200 vs. 5400) will possibly vibrate a little more and some drives like the WD may make more clicking. I am running the Seagate 500GB 7.2k in my uMBP 15 now and it is quiet and no more vibration than the original. If you want the ultimate in quiet and vibration, get an SSD. Also heard good things about the Momentus XT, will probably try one later.

Besides the click and vibration, yours should be fine but if it bothers you, try a different brand/drive. Just use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the current drive.