Replaced 2016 MBP with 2017

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by incumbantimmortal, Jul 23, 2017.

1. incumbantimmortal macrumors newbie

So my current 2016 15" MacBook Pro is getting replaced because they've sent it in for multiple keyboard repairs and they just can't get it right. I'm wondering, for those of you who have had replacements since WWDC 2017, does Apple replace them with 2017 MBPs or refurb 2016s?

2. parlem macrumors member

Hi!
    I was in a similar situation once and Apple gave me a brand new machine. BUT, the fact that my dodgy MacBook Pro was CTO, with a faster-spinning HD and extra RAM might have had something to do with it. In other words, had it been an base or standard configuration, I might have got a refurbished unit. But Apple always make a point of giving you like for like and, in my case, I guess they couldn't find an equivalent unit. Good luck and let us know how you get on!

3. incumbantimmortal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Mine is a maxed out 2016 15" with a 1TB SSD. I see my exact model on the Apple Refurbished Store, but at the same time it's a BTO. Was yours available on the refurb store? Just trying to figure out what to expect here.

I'll let you know when they tell me. They said the turn-around may be a week because they've been busy lately.

4. hyunez macrumors newbie

My BTO 2016 13" MBP TB was having keyboard problems so I brought it to the Shanghai Apple Store this week. They had the 2016 top case in stock so they just replaced that and kept the rest of the computer. I got my macbook back the next day.

5. FrozenDarkness macrumors 65816

I think the proper response would be that YMMV. If yours is a BTO, than I'd argue you're less likely to get a 2017 because why woudl they have a BTO similar 2017 lying around either?