Replaced 3gs week 51 untethered jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by navigates, Feb 13, 2010.

1. navigates macrumors 6502a

I had a hairline crack on my phone and got it replaced and went ahead and did the following.

1. Checked the firmware 3.1.2 (which is good)
    2. Redsn0w 0.9.2, During jailbreak, it asked if I have the newer version of week 45 and higher and I clicked yes.
    3. After jailbreak, it rebooted and I got the itunes restore screen.
    4. I ran blackra1n to continue tethered boot.
    5. Ran Cydia and installed some apps. One of which asked for reboot. Went ahead and expected to rerun blackra1n as i expected a tethered phone and to my surprise, the boot went through without the itunes restore icon.

I believe I must have got lucky once again with a new phone. Purpose of this thread is to inform others that there is still the old iboots out there.

2. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I had the same thing last week(end). Makes you feel like the luckiest person in the world, doesn't it? :) It's a good feeling

I actually tried rebooting a number of times, once while hooked up to iTunes, once w/ iTunes off and still plugged in, and once completely unplugged. I'm kind of OCD like that, I didn't want to run into any problems at all when it came to the new iBoot

3. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I am sure your phone is not new, but refurbished. So far people have had good luck with getting refurbs with older bootroms, but that is bound to become less and less likely as time passes and more new phones are returned and refurbished.

4. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

The store I went to was a very crowded one. I'm surprised that I actually lucked out. My phone that as replaced was the new iboot.

It might be a refurb but there's no way to tell.

5. leons macrumors 6502

yes there is...what is the firsy 5 digits of your serial #?

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

You can't tell by serial numbers anymore. With the original iPhone, 5K used to mean it was refurb but with the 3G and 3GS, they used 5K and many other number/letters for new and refurbs.

7. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

5K0051.
    BTW. There might be cases where 5K's are used as new phones but I've never seen a refurb start with regular serial numbers like 820050

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sorry, I gotta disagree.

First digit always a number
    2nd digit a number -- new phone
    2nd digit a letter -- refurb (that's why 3.1.2 and old baseband for all these posters getting their phones replaced)

9. navigates thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its speculation though! my wife got a home button issue within the first week of its release and got a 5K replacement. Chances are minimal to none that they have refurbs within the first week.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

11. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

There is an Apple rep on the Apple support forums that disagrees with you. This thread below is where I got that 5K can be for new and refurbs:
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=7916836&#7916836