Replaced battery, now computer wont fully turn on - Mid 2012 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djt511, Jan 29, 2016.

1. djt511 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I replaced my battery on my MBP today with an "OEM" i purchased from eBay. While changing the battery I did the bonehead move of tearing the ribbon that goes from the trackpad to the logic board. I put together the Mac anyway to turn it on and make sure everything else was working, to computer turns on and i type in my password on the login screen when the Mac goes to a screen that says it was shut down unexpectedly and to press any key or wait. When i pres any key i just get a blank screen with fans running on full speed. I can't reset PRAM, that didn't work when i tried.

Any suggestions, would having a severed track pad cable cause it to not start up properly?

Thanks in advanced,

Danny T

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

2. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Your system is having a kernel panic - are you sure you didn't damage anything else during the install process?

A damaged trackpad cable should just prevent the trackpad from working. I don't think there are any system-critical functions carried on that cable except perhaps a temperature sensor, so it shouldn't panic because of that - it should just log errors in the console.

If you'd really damaged it then it would panic on boot, but I suspect it's trying to load some software when you log in that is doing something that causes the now-broken system to bork. Perhaps it's a conflict with the HID stuff due to the broken cable.

Have you tried it with a mouse plugged in? It could be the "I can't find a mouse!" popup window that launches the bluetooth discovery app on the login screen if OS X can't detect one.

3. makinao macrumors regular

If you were clumsy enough to tear a ribbon cable, you knows what else you damaged.

The only other probable cause would be the battery itself.

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Quite possibly as the trackpad is hardwired therefore a working machine has one all the time. TBH it would be a coincidence of monumental proportions if they two things weren't related. If you have a USB mouse you could try connecting while booting just in case but in my Mac-Mini experience you get a meaningful message if there is no pointing device, but that is on a device without one built in.

5. djt511 thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't physically touch anything else during the install, so i'm not sure if anything else got damaged. So not that i know if..

The last time i booted it i was actually able to log in and it was very sluggish, taking 3-4 minutes to load, once partially loaded i got a screen asking to connect a bluetooth mouse. The next time I restarted so I could connect a mouse i just get a apple logo with the loading bar, its been on that screen for the past 15 minutes now.

I am trying that now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 29, 2016 ---
    After loading i am at a Reset Password screen

Options are
    I forgot my password
    My Password doesn't work when logging in
    My keyboard isn't working when typing my password to log in.

What do i do from here?

6. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Keyboard and trackpad are on the same internal USB bus. I'd say you need to fix the trackpad cable. Not very surprising.