Replaced Battery, Rebooting

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by iiBenxD, Jul 10, 2010.

1. iiBenxD macrumors newbie

I ordered this kid to replace my iPhone 3GS battery:
    http://www.amazon.com/6279Q595-Replacement-Battery-1600mah-iphone/dp/B001UGAX82

The whole replacement went smoothly, and it booted up the first time I tried. However, after being on for around 3-6 minutes, my phone rebooted. It didn't go into recovery mode, just a normal reboot (without me doing anything obviously). And then again, after around 3-6 minutes after the first reboot, it does it again.

So I decided to reinstall the firmware, and then I got error 29, so I used iRecovery to get it out of recovery mode (error 29 means hardware error, just an unknown battery).

I'm a little worried though, because there was a very small gold looking tab on the side of the inside of the phone that broke off. It looked like a tab to keep the logic board down and not moving, because it didn't look like it was touching any contacts. I don't know where that tab went though. It's not that GSM connection thing either, because I can make and receive calls fine, it's just rebooting a lot (but it doesn't go into recovery mode unless I restore).

Any suggestions? Is that gold tab of any significance? If so, how could I fix it? Thank you so much!

Edit: In case this is of any significance, I used the guide on iFixit.

2. iiBenxD thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump, can someone please help? ):
    And if anyone is going to help, you should know that I ruled out the thought of it being the tab. I put the original iPhone back in and it doesn't reboot anymore. So is there something that I need to do so it'll stop rebooting with the new battery? Thanks again.

3. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

You may have damaged something or that battery is bad. Have seen the same thing with a phone I am working on. Had to put logic board in a spare phone and it booted fine after that. Gold clip connects aerial to the bezel as a ground plane I.e it connects ground to the bezel.

4. iiBenxD thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really think that I damaged something, because like I said, I put the old battery back and it was working fine. So if the battery is bad, would you recommend getting it from the same person, because it's very unlikely that just this one first battery I got is going to be defective?
    Do you have any suggestions of where I can get a battery for the iPhone that can hold more juice than the original? Thanks :)

PS: Without the clip, is there any way that the logic board to be fried?

5. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

Get a genuine battery from another supplier first. Try that.

6. coneman5259 macrumors member

coneman5259

That kit is for an iPhone 3G, you stated that you have the 3GS, two different batteries. There's your problem.