replaced cable and hard drive - no load

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ledgehammer, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ledgehammer macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

So I recently changed the hard drive and cable.

All went well but on rebooting o.s - before it finishes it loads the disk utiliy screen.

Tried twice, disk is present and okay but wont finish loading o.s
    Any ideas?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Which OS are you trying to install? Also what model/year of Mac do you have?

Try hold 'Alt' on startup, see if there's a Macintosh HD option to boot into, on the off chance it's defaulting to boot into the recovery OS.

If not, faulty RAM can cause occasionally issues synonymous with what you're having. You can try the install with one DIMM in, and if that still fails, try swap that stick out with the one you've just taken out.

If you've got the 2011 15/17" then it might be graphics causing the problems.

3. ledgehammer thread starter macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

Hi,
    Min 2012 and just the basic mountain lion from recovery option.

When installing o.s part way through installation it loads up the disk utility menu.

This is with a new hard drive and cable installed - my disk utility shows the drive and I have already formatted it and everything is fine until I try to reinstall o.s - then mid way through the disk utility screen comes up.

4. ledgehammer thread starter macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

When I try it in Internet rec mode, I get the error message apple support 501 0f.

5. ledgehammer thread starter macrumors newbie

ledgehammer

thought I had better update this.

During the intial format something hadn't completed, after doing some checks and a repartitian, everything is running fine :)