Replaced cracked iPhone 5s now screen won't rotate

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mnl1121, Jan 12, 2015.

1. mnl1121 macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2015
    Hi all,

I replaced my gfs cracked iPhone 5s screen a couple of days ago. After I closed it all up we realized the screen no longer rotates and the compass doesn't work. We tried doing a soft and hard reset with no luck. I've been searching around and can't find where the gyroscope actually is in the phone. I don't think I touched it. I only followed the directions on ifixit and the only thing besides the display that I had to touch was the front camera assembly. Does the gyro reside somewhere in there?

Any help is greatly appreciated thanks.
  2. rgarjr macrumors 603

Apr 2, 2009
    Southern California
    I believe the gyro is an actual chip on the logic board. The accelerometer is the actual part that senses the screen rotating however.
  3. mnl1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2015
    I believe you're right. That's what it seems like I'm finding out as I do research but I still can't find a concrete answer. I do believe you're right though in which case begs the question, how did it all the sudden break?
  4. nox5 macrumors 6502

Oct 16, 2013

Attached Files:

5. mnl1121 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 12, 2015
    Thanks nox5! Wow so not only are they encased in chips, but they are on the underside of the logic board. I didn't come close to touching them.