Replaced hard drive. Confused what to do next?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by meagain, Sep 4, 2011.

1. meagain macrumors 68030

Sorry to post. I replaced my failing iMac hard drive and now want to install lion and restore from my time capsule/time machine backup.

I have the lion install disk. I started the iMac with the disk in and it's asking me if I want to restore via migration assistant, time machine, etc.

Don't I need to 'install' lion first? I'm unclear as to what to do. Should I have held down a key when turning it on?

If anyone can help a girl out, I'd appreciate it! Thank you.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Its a while since I did a clean install like this

But, run the installer and select to restore from Time Machine, it should install the os and restore from Time Machine at the same time

3. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

You want to initialize the new hard drive first ... with disk utility you can just erase and it will create proper GUID setup.

Then you want to install the OS onto the newly initialized hard drive ... at the end of the OS install process it will reboot and go into setup and at that point it should ask about restoring ( transfering ) and give option of picking the correct time machine backup.

4. Armand macrumors newbie

Reading the HD from iBook G3 or G4

Perhaps this could be a new thread, but let me start by asking here:
    I have a dead iBook G3 & a dead iBook G4.
    I've removed the hard drive (hd) from the G3 (mk4025GAS).
    I'd appreciate any info on reading what's on those hard drives with another iBook G4.
    I hear that I could use the frame of an external hd for a mac. Can I buy the connector without the unneeded hd?
    Suggestions on where this thread would go would also be welcome.
    Thanks!

5. meagain thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmm... I did figure out I needed to do something to the drive first so I crated 1 partition. I hope that formatted it correctly.

Now I'm restoring from a time machine backup which is slated to take 13 hours despite being hooked up to the time capsule via Ethernet cable. Wow. Is that a normal timeframe?

6. mdahman macrumors newbie

snow leopard recovery

I replaced the HD in my late 2009 iMac (the original was going bad).
    I booted to the OS install CD/DVD and then chose system recovery from the utilities menu.
    After restoring the time capsule data, it looks like the drive was formatted into a single partition but
    1) the system won't boot from the hard drive
    2) when I boot back from the OS install CD/DVD, and go into the "choose startup disk" option it only lists the network and CD/DVD.

Does the hard drive need to be formatted/partitioned prior to the time capsule system recovery?

If so, what are the partitioning sizes/types needed for a 1 TB drive?

Thanks!