Replaced Hard Drive leads to CPU Overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zifnabxar, Jun 15, 2010.

1. zifnabxar macrumors newbie

I've been having some problems with my first generation Macbook Pro and was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I've had the computer for about four and a half years and besides the occasional hard drive failures, it's run wonderfully. My second hard drive started to fail about a month ago (clicks and random shut downs) and I bought a new Western Digital (320 GB, 7200 RPM, 16 MB Cache). Installed it and restored the computer (OS X 10.5.8 with XP partition), almost everything works fine, except the CPU overheats frequently.

Sometimes when I'm running a flash video or game or when it's checking the validity of some files the CPU temperature will go up to 110 C and force the computer to shut down. I installed smcFanControl and it seems like the fans are kicking in when they should, but the temperature still spikes.

I've got two theories. One is that the new HD is causing the CPU to do a lot more work. The other is that in installing the HD I covered up something that the CPU needs to cool down. I'm not too sure about the probability of the first one and I've double checked my work a few times and can't find anything to show it's the second one. Could anyone help me on this? I'd really like to keep using this computer, but the overheating problem is getting annoying.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Might want to try a fresh install of Leopard, or perhaps an upgrade to SL. I'd imagine that there could be some corrupt data on there now that is causing the processor to freak out. I would say try SL, it's only 30 bucks.

Edit: you could also check activity monitor when it gets hot to see what exactly is sucking up all the processor, and you might be able to see the problem from there.