Replaced Hard Drive MBP 17in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tacoman667, Jul 21, 2008.

1. tacoman667 macrumors regular

Yesterday I finally replaced my stock 5400rpm 250GB hard drive with a 7200rpm 200GB drive I purchased 2 months before I got this awesome MBP. I used the instructions from iFixit's website and it all went easily without a single issue. I think it was harder for me to find a T6 Torx screwdriver locally then to actually replace the drive in my MBP.

I just wanted to comment on how easy it was to do and now I am pleased with the performance benefits I get now with the 7200rpm drive installed now.

By the way, I have not noticed any extra heat from the higher rpm's and I have yet to work off the battery but I will let you all know if I see any noticable battery hits from it.

Thanks for hearing my ramblings!

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Oh. You're being serious. My definition of easy is "less than 22 screws". Actually, easy is more like "no more than three screws".

The new case should fix that, though. I'm glad that it went well for you. Enjoy your new HDD!

3. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Yes, I'd be interested to here about any extra noise and also the affect on battery life.

4. tacoman667 thread starter macrumors regular

There is actually no extra noise that I have heard. The superdrive was 100x louder when it was reading the Leopard disk.

22 screws may seem cumbersome, but as long as you don't rush it, it was seriously easy. I got nervous when disconnecting the ribbon cables from the logic boards but even that was seriously simple. If you feel uneasy working with electronics then I would certainly say "Don't try this at home..." but I am an "overclocker" so this comes natural to me but even so, this was as easy as putting in RAM.

5. tacoman667 thread starter macrumors regular

Welp, I hardly notice a difference in my power consumption. I think running my fans at 3k on SMCFanControl 2.1 is draining more power then the 7200rpm drive oer the 5400rpm.

YAY! Still getting over 4 hours on my battery!

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Ain't that the truth? I missed 4 screws, so I almost broke the keyboard. There are WAY too many screws, and did I mention how hard it is to find that special Torx screwdriver?

I definitely hope HDD and memory replacement is very easy on any new revision. However, I'm hoping to pop a BD-ROM drive in as soon as Apple gets their arse on the Blu-ray train, provided it works with all that stupid DRM I have heard BDs have.

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Step 1: Go to Home Depot
    Step 2: Go to 'Tools' section
    Step 3: Find small screwdriver with Torx bits
    Step 4: Buy
    Step 5: Use it

;)

Step 6: If you need it again go back to Step 5.

8. tacoman667 thread starter macrumors regular

I got mine single for 4 bucks at Ace Hardware.