Replaced hard drive now screen is black :( Urgent help needed!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by heidrunh, Sep 29, 2009.

1. heidrunh macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 13 inch macbook approxiamtely 2.3 years old. I replaced the hard drive today. But when I turned my mac on the screen remained black and the indicatory light kept flashing faster than in stand by mode (a bit at the speed of a car indicator). I have tried all the commands suggested by mac (holding down c, holding down option + mac sign + r + p) and still there hasn't been a difference.

There is also no start up tone. The only noise coming from the mac is at the start and it is coming from the cd/dvd drive. A leopard install disk was inserted prior to the exchange of hard drives and now it is stuck. There is no eject pin hole I can push. I have tried holding down space, holding down the mouse and holding down the eject button when turning the mac on. This did not eject the cd. I then tried the credit card trick. However, this did not work either.

I then exchanged the new hard drive for the old one. However, this did not change my mac's condition. The screen still remains black and the white light still flashes.

I have called mac services and was told to bring it to a service centre. However my waranty has expired and repairs could be expensive. I am a student so do not really have the money to spare on expensive computer repairs.

If anyone is able to give me suggestions on how to fix the problem I would be very grateful!!

Many thanks,

Heidrun

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Is the RAM seated correctly? Maybe you pushed on the lever used to remove the RAM modules when replacing the hd.

3. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

By any chance, did you take precaution with static to make sure not to harm the computer before you went digging in there. And also did you clone your drive before installing the new one?

Go back and make sure everything you touched is nice and tight and no loose connections.

Also please make sure you plug it into the wall socket, your battery could be dead.

4. broad macrumors member

sounds like bad RAM. take both sticks out, try one alone...see if it boots. if not, try the other...if it boots with one, replace the one that is bad.

5. DLary macrumors member

6. heidrunh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your replies!!

The ram is seated correctly.

Yes I did take precautions by touching a metal object. I hope that was enough? :S

I did not clone the hard drive... I only created back ups of the files I needed because my computer was full of spy ware and I did not want to have to go through every single folder to get rid of it. Silly now that I think about it since there could have been a really easy out of that problem!!

I have opened and re-closed my mac countless times just to make sure that I did not have the problem of any lose bits and also to make sure I had inserted everything correctly so I don't think there are any problems on this front.

And I have always had the power plug plugged in. Also my battery is full so there shouldn't be any problems coming from that.

I had a look at the article. However, my computer does not produce any beeping sounds what so ever.

7. heidrunh thread starter macrumors newbie

okay. I tried each RAM out. There was no change in the computer's current condition.

8. DLary macrumors member

It is not just beeps that count. Your LED Power light may flash in a sequence that will help identify the problem