Replaced hard drive, now some files are corrupt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobbuilder33, Oct 29, 2013.

1. bobbuilder33 macrumors newbie

Hey,

So I upgraded my hard drive from a 500GB to 1TB drive on my Macbook pro. The shop cloned my old hard drive then put all my data back on the new one. Everything seemed fine until I saw that various Mp3's and WAV's on the computer (maybe one in 20) displayed their correct length but only contained audio for the first few seconds. The rest was blank. I have everything backed up on Time Machine and I checked and all the files are intact in my backups. I have three questions:

1. How did this happen?
    2. Is it possible that more files other than music files are affected?
    3. How do I restore from the last good time machine backup WITHOUT overwriting anything I've made in the 3 weeks since the hard drive upgrade.

thanks!

2. Voca macrumors member

Voca

They did a crappy job! They didn't use the migration assistant to move files and folders, they just moved em from one drive to the other - copy/paste.

Doing so will affect programs, files, music, folders etc.
    Yes, there is a high chance, that other things are affected as well.

And last, you have to save your recent work on an external drive, then you can do a time machine restore. Not possible otherwise.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

1. Not sure. You can use Disk Utility or one of the many disk cloning apps like Carbon Copy Cloner or Superduper to copy drives contents fro one drive to another with no issue.

2. Certainly is.

3. That one is note tricky. Can you just copy the three weeks work off to to a USB key or something? Then you can option key boot to the Time Machine disk and erase Macintosh HD then restore. This will get you back exactly how you were as of the last backup. Then you can copy your newer documents back from the USB key.