Replaced Hard Drive screen won't turn on.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tvoe1, May 19, 2018.

1. tvoe1 macrumors newbie

Hi, I was wondering if any one has any suggestions to my current dilemma. I replaced my old hard drive on my iMac 2010 with a new Samsung SSD. Everything went smoothly. However, right before putting back all the screws, I decided to turn on the computer just to make sure everything was working. Turns out, the computer turns on but the screen doesn't. It's just black. I brought an external Dell monitor, I plugged it in and it works perfectly fine. When I go into my screen settings it detects that it's a Dell monitor, but shows no trace of the actual iMac monitor. I went back and checked the connections on my iMac's monitor, and I could swear everything is correct. My only other opinion is that maybe one of the wires is plugged in backwards? IDK. The data cable gave me a little bit of trouble plugging it in, but not much. It was mostly because I was using one hand to hold the screen and the 2nd to plug it in.

Any ideas what could of gone wrong or what to check for? I was wondering if I have to fully assemble the entire pieces back together for it to work.

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

It could be that the display cable isn’t properly seated in the system board, or that maybe the cable was damaged and so it won’t work anymore. I would check iFixit for the tear down pics to see how everything should be connected.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I just did a CPU swap on my 2008 20" last night and had this exact same issue. I'm not exactly sure what caused it but it suddenly started working again after I fully disassembled it once more and made 110% sure everything was plugged in. I even reseated the GPU card (but that shouldn't be necessary for your HD swap) since I did have to disconnect it when changing the CPU but it looked fine as it was. Maybe you bumped it in yours?

4. tvoe1 thread starter macrumors newbie

So after hours of frustration yesterday I decided to take a break. This morning I went back and pulled the computer apart again. I went to Staples and bought myself a magnifying glass. Upon inspecting the connections, I THINK I might have chipped the Data Cable from the LCD but I'm not sure because I don't know what it's supposed to look like to begin with (if anyone knows, let me know). I also tried plugging it in and checked the 4 LCD lights on the mother board. It turns out only 3 lights are coming up. I found a different forum where it explains the meaning of each light. It contradicts my theory of a broken Data Cable, so I'm confused. But based on my pictures, I think I'm going to start by replacing the Data Cable first. See 3 pics attached.

Attached Files:

5. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad