replaced hard drive with a larger used one - can't load OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dbergthold, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dbergthold macrumors newbie

iBook, G4 12", 1.2 GHz
    This old unit needed a bigger hard drive, so a friend gave me a Hitachi 60 GB drive he didn't need and I installed it. He told me that it was formatted for MS-DOS and that I would need to reformat it for Mac OS. I'm pretty sure that I did accomplish that using Disk Utilities in the Installer program.

I put a OS 10.4 install disk in and tried to boot from it. My problem is I'm getting a screen alert that says, "This software cannot be loaded on this computer." I can either restart (what good is that?) or go to "Startup Disk" where I choose the install disk (or Network Startup) and click on Restart. Then I choose English as the main language and bang! - right back to the wonderful, "This software cannot be loaded on this computer."

I bet I'm missing something obvious, but I guess I need some help. What can I do from this spot I'm in?

Thanks,
    DB

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Is the install disk made for that computer? It doesn't sound like it was, you can only use a retail copy of Tiger or a copy that came with your particular computer.

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Make sure that the disk is formated for HFS+ Journaled.