replaced hard drive with a larger used one - can't load OS

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dbergthold, Jul 21, 2009.

1. dbergthold macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2009
    iBook, G4 12", 1.2 GHz
    This old unit needed a bigger hard drive, so a friend gave me a Hitachi 60 GB drive he didn't need and I installed it. He told me that it was formatted for MS-DOS and that I would need to reformat it for Mac OS. I'm pretty sure that I did accomplish that using Disk Utilities in the Installer program.

I put a OS 10.4 install disk in and tried to boot from it. My problem is I'm getting a screen alert that says, "This software cannot be loaded on this computer." I can either restart (what good is that?) or go to "Startup Disk" where I choose the install disk (or Network Startup) and click on Restart. Then I choose English as the main language and bang! - right back to the wonderful, "This software cannot be loaded on this computer."

I bet I'm missing something obvious, but I guess I need some help. What can I do from this spot I'm in?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Is the install disk made for that computer? It doesn't sound like it was, you can only use a retail copy of Tiger or a copy that came with your particular computer.
  3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

Oct 16, 2006
    Make sure that the disk is formated for HFS+ Journaled.