replaced HD and backups are missing on Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 92 5 oh, Mar 28, 2017.

1. 92 5 oh macrumors newbie

hey everyone,
    Last week i replaced the HD in my MBP for a faster one. After i reformatted the drive I used my TC backups to restore everything. Today i was messing around in Time Machine and noticed that I don't have any backups later than when I replaced the HD. Is this expected, if so, why? I was under the impression that the TC would store the backups as long as it's available, otherwise the backups would save locally. The MBP is almost always here so I should have a few years of backups but when browsing date/time i cannot see anything prior to the HD replacement.

Any input is appreciated.

thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

What did you expect with a new hard drive? How did you clone the old drive contents to the new drive?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

The old backup is probably still there on the TM disk, but by replacing the hard drive, it started over and made a new backup. Follow the instructions on this page to "associate" the old TM backup with the new drive.

http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html

4. 92 5 oh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this link, I'll read through it when I'm at home with the equipment. I do know the old backups are there, the TC is a 2TB model and I have 1.3TB free. And last night I booted in to recovery mode, selected restore from backup and i could see all the backups. I'll report back after I've gone through the steps in the link
    --- Post Merged, Mar 30, 2017 ---
    I replaced the HD in my MacBook. Were you thinking I replaced the HD in the time capsule? I didn't clone the old drive. I installed the new drive, booted to recovery mode, restored from the latest backup. After the restore completed I noticed that the old backups were not "seen" in time machine. I know they're there because I have 1.3TB free out of 2TB - which is about right for my backups. Plus last night I booted in recovery mode, selected restore from backup and I could see years worth of backups. I didn't proceed with a restore, I just wanted to verify the backups were still on disk or there wasn't another issues going on. With a new drive, and restoring from a backup I expected that time capsule would see the old backups. I tried umounting the TC disk and reconnecting. It reconnected successfully but still doesn't see any old backups.