Replaced HD, Mac OS X Install DVD Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by prcproberts, Nov 22, 2012.

1. prcproberts macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 13 late 2008 for which I just replaced the HD with a WD Blue notebook 500GB, 5400rpm, model WDBABC5000ANC-NRSN. After replacing the HD, powered up the MBP, the screen displayed a flashing folder with ?. I think this is normal since there is no OS loaded. I inserted the Mac OS X Install DVD OS version 10.5.5 which came with MBP and restarted holding down C until a grey screen with apple logo and spinning wheel at bottom appeared. It stayed like this for 2 1/2 hours so I shut down. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please be detailed as I am a novice user.

2. bluespaceoddity, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012

bluespaceoddity macrumors regular

It may be as simple as not holding down the C key early enough after restart or after pushing the power button to boot up again after shut down. Have you tried more than once?

In stead of the C key you can also attempt shutting down and then holding down the Option Key immediately after pushing the power button. Keep holding down the Option Key. Your computer will take some time but will then hopefully display the image of a DVD on the screen. (You should hear that it is working with the DVD drive after a few moments) Click on that DVD Image on the screen (with the physical trackpad button, tapping on the trackpad won't work at this stage, move right or left with the arrow keys on your keyboard to make a selection among the start-up volumes shown on the screen) and hopefully the Macbook Pro will start from the DVD.

[​IMG]