Replaced HDD, flashing question mark folder on boot up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ravich, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

I followed an ifixit guide to replace both my HDD and one of my fans. I feel like I secured everything following it in reverse, so before I take it all apart again, I thought I'd ask if there are any issues I should know about. I assume I dont need to do anything to the HDD I bought for it (was just planning on installing OSX from scratch, and I'm fairly positive that I secured the hard drive ribbon to the logic board.

Any advice?

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Did you install OS X already? If there's no operating system the computer won't know what to boot into...

If you haven't, hold Option at startup and go through the install process from there. What year is your MacBook from?

3. Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much! This is a 15'' macbook pro from mid 2008 (not unibody).

Laptop is currently happily installing. So glad I dont have to take it apart again or try to diagnose what the issue is.

4. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

Great!

5. Ravich, Jun 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

Ravich thread starter macrumors 6502a

So everything went fine other than it hanging at "less than a minute remaining" for about 30 minutes, I transferred over stuff from time machine, and then I noticed my laptop felt awfully hot considering that it was just sitting on my desk, so I looked at my istats and saw that the right fan wasnt listed as moving at all.

Is this likely an issue with some connection, or is there something I need to do to get my laptop to recognize the fan? I assume it's wired to just pick up on the fan. I ordered it from ifixit, so that cant be the issue as far as I know...

Do I just need to take it apart and see if the connection to the logic board came unattached when I put the keyboard back on or something?

Is there a safe way to test whether everything is wired before reassembling everything and screwing everything in?

Edit: got impatient, opened it up, turned out the connector thingy wasnt entirely connected to the logic board. Fan's running fine now. Hopefully the semi loose tape on the right fan wasnt what was causing the noise with the old one, but I guess I'll find out if it kicks up again.