Replaced Int Batt-Still Get Date-Time ErrorMsg?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ArchiMark, Sep 3, 2007.

1. ArchiMark macrumors 6502

Recently started getting the Date & Time Error message when bootup completed to desktop each morning when starting up ol' PMG4.

PMG4 is gigabit ethernet model with GigaDesign 1.3MHz CPU upgrade and running OSX 10.4.10.

After a few days of this, I realized that internal battery must be going bad (although replaced it 2 years ago...). Had local Mac shop replace battery and for about a week all was good...

Then message came back again!

And then a few days later one of my internal hard drives went bad and crashed and icon disappeared from desktop....coincidence or ???

Anyway, took my PMG4 back to shop and they put in another battery for me....thinking that maybe battery wasn't so good that was put in....

Guess what, still getting that error message every morning at bootup that Mac's date and time is set before 2001, etc....

Any ideas as to what's causing this??? wasn't doing this until just recently....

:confused:

Thanks for any and all input!

Mark

2. shield1751 macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hey Mark,

I have the same problem on my old G4 (dual mirrored door)...it just stated when I installed Leopard on a new 500 gig HD. But I had been having a slight problem of the mouse freezing up when the G4 went in to either sleep mode or the sceensaver came on. Strange. It just started about a week or so ago...and now THIS date thing. Kinda makes me wonder if its time for a new 24" Imac.

I'd be very interested in what your outcome was or what the solution to your problem ended up being.

Thanks,
    Paul

3. ArchiMark thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi Paul,

Wow, posted that almost 2 years ago....can't remember for sure, but I think that I may have changed battery one more time and then it went away?

Also, I know that on some old Macs there was a reset switch (CUDA ?) to press on motherboard to do this....

I gave up on my ol' G4 not long after that post and have been using my MacBook C2D as my daily driver at home, got one of those docks for it, so, I'm all set and good to go....

Hope this helps a little...good luck...

Mark

4. Roy macrumors 6502

About 6 months ago I was having the same problem. I had never changed the battery, so the battery had to be 7.5 years old and I figured the battery was dead. (G4 466 DA, bought 1/16/01) I only had the time problem for a few weeks and then the time started being right again. About 2 months ago I decided to change the battery, since changing it would be probably be less difficult than changing a flashlight battery. I went to Radio Shack, bought a battery and installed it with no problem. New battery now and I can go maybe another 7.5 years before I have to change the battery again. Before I threw away the old battery, I decided to test it with my $25 battery tester. Don't know why I didn't test it before I went and bought another battery. The old battery was still in the "good" range. It the longest lasting battery I ever had or while probably ever have again.