Replaced iPhone 5 Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hra08, Feb 11, 2015.

1. hra08 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 5 a couple of years ago second hand. It's probably been going like a trojan since launch day, but the battery is no longer lasts a day if I actually use it.

Here are the battery stats from iBackupBot:

CycleCount: 493
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1000

With apple charging £55, I bought a cheap DIY kit. This to be precise:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jazooli-Rep...&sr=1-2&keywords=iphone+5+replacement+battery

Replacement took me about 30 minutes (give me a break, it was my first time) and the battery itself indistinguishable from the origional.

Here are the battery stats now:

CycleCount: 846
    DesignCapacity: 1430
    FullChargeCapacity: 1300

Full charge is a satisfactory 1300 (is that normal/good?) but worryingly the cycle count is far higher. How does the cycle counter work? Is this a normal readout, or have I been sold a used battery?

Thanks in advance,

2. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I wonder if this is a rebuilt battery, where they take the controller from a dead genuine Apple battery and mate it with new cells.

In this case, the cells have the increased like new capacity, but there may be no way to reset the cycle count to 0, so you see the accumulated cycle count the controller built up with the previous cells?

It's just a theory; the true test will be how well the battery performs.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, your replacement battery has a way higher CycleCount than your old used battery:D
    lol
    You get what you pay for...