Replaced iPhone, stupid apple/att...help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZebraineZ, Apr 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

First of all please I need someone who can be nice and not be stubborn...thanks.

Anyways my iPhones home button and power button were little bit stuckish broken (brand new iphone 16 gig, 300 bucks) so I wanted to go to ATT to replace it and they asked for a restocking fee, which was 30 bucks. Now since my dad is a typical armenian he threw a fit and called the store BS and left, they said apple will replace it for free with a brand new phone. Now my phone is only 11 days old, so I geuss that if its defective and I want to replace it they will do it, ok now we drive all the way to the nearest apple store, and wait like an hour and a half for the genius appointment thingy, and the stupid idiot takes my phone and gets another phone from a what appeared to be a refurbished box, and takes it out....now my dad got even more mad and said that ATT said for us to come here and that we can get it replaced for free with a new phone and asked if the phone is new or not and the stupid 'genius' just answered back with a 'I don't know'. Now judging from all the other up-tight posts with a 'OMG I sent back my cracked iphone 8gig that was out of warranty, and they gave me one that was brand new AND 16gigs like yeah' that I would be able to get the same service specially when we payed 300 bucks for a phone that we pay 80 bucks a month for, I could have gotten a 150 bucks refurbished phone for the same deal. Now telll me someone what should I do now? My mom is getting really mad that we got a refurbished phone and says for us to go back to the apple store and get MY phone back and pay the 30 bucks restocking fee at ATT and get a brand new phone. Also this refurbished phone has its power button stuck as well. I just loaded all my stuff on this and don't feel like doing it over and over and over......HELP! Please be nice enough to actually respond, I know alot of people browse through the forum, just post something that you would think is useful, it would help alot.

2. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Not quite sure what your problem is. Generally, apple stores will replace your iphone with any real issue. I replaced a 1st generation because of a few dead pixels, no questions asked. I've replaced a 3G just a month ago because of a cracked case. The new one suddenly lost all ability to connect to wifi no matter what, no matter the network. After a restore and a call to apple, they scheduled a genius appointment.

I replaced that phone today. Yes it was out of the plain white box, the wifi is working. I don't really expect a new box, packaging, headphones and charger. Just the fact that they are so willing to take care of issues with their product is great.

Did you want a "new" boxed up phone and do you feel cheated for getting handed a phone out of a white box?

3. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

For apple, refurbished = new. It won't be a phone that someone returned for some reason and apple stuck it in a box, it has likely been rebuilt.

I ask you, is there a mark on it anywhere? does it work as expected?

You still have 354 days of your one-year warranty left.

I called apple when my phone was misbehaving and they sent me an empty box to mail mine back in.. pre-paid overnight, took them a day to inspect it and send me a replacement, also overnight. In less than 72 hrs I had what appeared to be a brand new phone, it came in a brown box, but it was in immaculate condition with a screen cover plastic on it. Basically, it looked like mine did on launch day, but without the black box.

My advice.. and advice you'll probably hear from other people is "don't be an *******" if the phone is in perfect condition and works as expected what do you care if it is refurbished? Are you worried about 11 days of warranty being lost? If that is worth a $30 restocking fee and the hassle of going to the AT&T store, then by all means go for it, but it seems ridiculous to do that.

4. ZebraineZ thread starter macrumors 6502

i paid 300 bucks for a new phone if i wanted a used one i could have gotten a used one for half the price. if i get a defective phone i expect to get what i paid for, not a 'i dont know' which is complete bs sorry. sigh srsly wat do i do now?? edit: also i mentioned the power button onthis ones stuck in, i sometimes cant figure if its being pressed or not...besides that im fine with the phone but seriously not worth paying 300 for something thats half.

5. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

6. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

You missed the point. It isn't used.

The white box ones are called many things... refurbished, remanufactured, white box new phones, etc. Only Apple knows for sure (and I'm not talking about the retail store), however the general consensus is that they are either new devices packaged without all the fancy stuff to be used for replacements, or devices that didn't meet QC at the factory and were rebuilt. You didn't receive a used phone that was cleaned off with a towel.

As others have said, the phone is probably perfect and if you didn't see the box, you wouldn't have created this thread in the first place.

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

Apple can replace your phone with a new one or refurbished one, its up to their discretion. When you get a replacement phone the new/refurbished phone will carry the same warranty ( 90 days or your original warranty which ever runs longer)

I hate people who have a false self of entitlement

A) Your first sentence has horrible grammar
    B) Your buttons were "stuckish" what does that mean ? Why should apple replace a phone that works 100% but you feel that because the buttons are "stuckish" you should get a brand new replacement
    C) So because your Dad is Armenian he can be a total jerk and a drama queen ?
    D) It's your fault you had to wait 1.5 hours, you can make an appointment online
    E) You keep calling the CSR's idiots, judging by your grammar and respect for others you're no better
    F) Did you read your contract, where does it say you get a NEW replacement phone ?
    G) I'm calling your BS, show me where you can buy a refurbished 16GB iPhone 3G for $150
    H) New phone has "stuck buttons".. yeah right, I think you just like to complain

How old are you like 14, you sound like a spoiled brat with parents who are probably responsible for spoiling you and not raising you correctly

Get off the internet and learn how to speak English OP.

8. danimal99 macrumors regular

Aren't the refurb 16G's $199? I don't get the animosity, I think I'd be pretty pissed too. You pay $300, then end up with what everybody else paid $199 for.

And seriously, policing grammar?

9. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

What all of you can't seem to grasp is that the phones that come out of the white boxes are of the same or BETTER quality than the new ones. You get a brand new, wrapped in plastic iPhone, take it home plug it into your computer to sync and see huge gaps in the bezel and stuck/dead pixels. This is far less likely to happen with a white box/refurb. It's already been turned in for defects and fixed. How is this a bad thing???? :confused:

And seriously, displaying the spelling/grammar equivalent of a 7 year old? Which sounds more ridiculous?

10. danimal99 macrumors regular

A refurb may be a "gone over" phone in a way that retail packaged ones aren't, but that is besides the point here. If the guy wanted a $199 refurb, he coulda bought one. Instead he bought a $299 but a week and a half later is stuck with a phone that would have been $100 less. In whose world is it happy days when you pay $100 more for something than everybody else? Why are people acting like they themselves would be perfectly happy with something that we all know they WOULD NOT BE? The only difference between you and this dood is that it happened to him and not you.

A refurb is not "brand new." How do you figure it's been turned in for defects and fixed, and also brand new at the same time?

And uhh, policing grammar sounds way more ridiculous to me. Sorry.

11. iPhoneNYC macrumors 6502a

iPhoneNYC

If one makes an appointment at an Apple Store, if there are real issues with things under warranty, I always had things resolved pleasantly and quickly. Sometimes you have to look at yourself as being an equal part of the problem.

12. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

The iPhone when you bought it should have a little book called warranty. It states that Apple can replace your iPhone with a new OR REFURBISHED. Also Apple's refurbished have a new outer shell and battery so it looks brand new. Also they are hand put together and are tested for over 160 hours to make sure the battery life and the phone is undergone it's burnet in testing.
    NOW AT&T'S refurbished are different. They are phones that are brought back to the store with in 30 days and are wiped. They have to still perform like a new one. However they are not rebuilt. They can be scratched up. PLUS you gave APPLE A USED IPHONE WITH ISSUES. apple gave you a REFURBISHED PHONE THAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE NEW AND IS FINE. YOU GAVE THEM A USED PHONE. THEY SHOULD HAVE GIVEN YOU A WORKING USED PHONE YOU BRAT. Get a life. My iPod touch 2G and Original iPhone had gotton beat up badly and when issues arose, I got a refurbished iPhone and touch. They both look like new and have NO ISSUES. Plus you are reusing and that helps the environment.

13. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I also had a problem within my first 14 days. I had to push them pretty hard to get it replaced and yes, it is supposed to be with a NEW phone. Not from a white "refurb" box. It is in the contract that it is a "no questions" replacement within 14 days if something goes wrong.

14. danimal99 macrumors regular

Sorry OP, apparently all these other people have extra $100 bills laying around and don't see the value of them. Also, you may have unknowingly insulted them personally, since they see fit to insult you back at every opportunity.

Err, I said OP, I meant BRAT, since that's what everybody else is calling you for no reason in particular.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is done here, as there is hardly any civil content in this thread, particularly from the OP. I apologize to the few people who did post sensibly and politely in this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.