replaced iPod but...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by JustOneQuickONe, Mar 21, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

I didn't have 4 hours to do the full reset that deletes everything on the iPod. I started it but right away shut the iPod down holding the top button and home button hoping that it would either stop the reset or damage all the data on the iPod. I tried to turn it back on and it gave me the picture showing that it needs to be connected to the computer:
    [​IMG]

Does this mean it has to be connected to my computer in order to restore it and get any info off of it? I wouldn't worry but it was bought from costco rather than the apple store and I'm not sure how they do their returns for iPods and who could access it. I had my emails set up on there and facebook logged in etc. I'm going to change the passwords but can the old emails still be seen and or anything like that I should keep an eye on?

on a side note, how much battery charge comes on a new iPod? Mine was almost fully charged and I don't remember that being the case with the 1st one.

2. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

anybody have any input? If the iPod requires being plugged in then it must have to be plugged in to MY computer in order to get anything off it right? It doesn't have a pass code set or anything but if someone were to get a hold of it and plug it into their computer they couldn't do anything right? Also there isn't a way to get into it without plugging it into a computer if it has the above pic is showing is there?

3. Packersfan27 macrumors 6502

I am a little confused, but I think I get what your asking.

In order for it to become usable again it would need to be restored, thus getting rid of all your data.

4. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

basically what i'm asking is , is it possible to get any of my data off the ipod like emails etc?

from your replay I'm guessing that its not possible.

5. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If you're looking to erase your iPod, you can do one of two things:

1. Connect it to iTunes, and click "Restore". This will erase everything on it, as if it were brand new. You'll have the option to restore it to a backup, but that will put your stuff back on it, so if you don't want to do that, don't.

2. You can also erase it by going into the Settings on your iPod and resetting the entire thing. That will take a little while though, as it has to erase itself from the inside out.

6. pilotrtc macrumors regular

email

If you're using the Mail app that comes with the iPod, your email is not stored on it. It's merely a reader so if you log into your email from your computer, you should still see all your messages.

I'm not familiar with FaceBook but I'm guessing that there's no real data stored on the iPod (except cache and stuff) so you should have the ability to start over.

7. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

no i'm not looking to erase everything, I already returned the ipod so I can't do much about that. I think I managed to get everything corrupted or erased by having it start to erase itself with the reset option on the iPOd itself and then powering it down, this made the ipod show me the connect to itunes picture and I couldn't get into the ipod.

I realize it is only a reader but since it saves my passwords then some could technically get into my email and use it, or get info from the emails. I changed my password but all the preloaded messages will still show up without even connecting to the internet since they are loaded onto the iPod.

If the picture is showing telling that it needs to be connected to itunes then in order for it to be used it must be restored right? Restoring it will erase everything and it would be like starting over with a new iPod, correct me if I'm wrong? And therefor there is no possible way to get any info off the ipod, or get into the mail app (since you can't get into the ipod yet), or get into anything that would have personal info unless it was restored using my computer since my computer has the backup?

If someone were to take it out of the store and bring it home (highly unlikely since the iPod will be sent back to apple due to being faulty) and plug it into their computer the computer would restore the ipod but in the process wipe everything clean so none of my data/info would be on the ipod. Is this correct?

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Yes. You're correct. No need to worry your data cannot be accessed by anyone now. Not even you. Unless ofcourse a professional buys it and he is really interested in hacking into your emails where he will probably take out the hard drive and ya... you get the point.

9. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

okay thank you haha, that's what i wanted to hear. Yeah i'm not to worried about someone going to that extent. It should be sent back to apple. I used to work at costco before I left to school and know that they send stuff back but they have a shelf in back where all the return stuff is placed but i'm not sure if they would just put on iPod there or if they have another more secure place so someone can't just come grab it.
    thanks again.