Replaced keyboard for 2016 MBP after June 2017 - how does it hold up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Super Xander, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Super Xander macrumors regular

Super Xander

I want to know anyone experience with a replaced keyboard for the 2016 MBP after the month of June this year.

It was rumored that Apple improved the keyboard slightly on the new 2017 machine and it makes sense that replaced top cases for the 2016 MBP also gets the slightly improved mechanism (without the small design changes of course.)

I haven't seen any confirmation to this yet, but.

Personly I got replaced my top case three times for my 13-MBP TB 2016. The first and second time were before the month of June and same problems with sticky keys and weird responsefeeling appeared. Since I got the last replacement in the end of August I haven't seen any sticky keys or weird response just as before, even that I use the computer for hours a day. My friend got the new 13-MBP TB from 2017 and I made a larger keyboard test where it surprised me how similare the keyboard really is, I couldn't a single difference in the keyboard experience.

Therefore I wonder if anyone got problems or improvements since their keyboard replacement after June 2017? Please leave your feedback.

2. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I was told the other day. That the 2017 keyboard had been updated. And the result is even sounds and smoother.

3. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Will let you know - dropped my 2016 off today to have keyboard replaced.

4. rawweb macrumors 6502a

rawweb

My 2016 was replaced last month with a 2017 keyboard.

Much better. No problems yet.

5. BlackHawk00 macrumors newbie

BlackHawk00

I used to own 13" 2016 wTB but recently I upgraded to 15" mid 2017 MBP and honestly speaking 2nd gen keyboard from apple is way better. No issues yet...

I am glad i made this choice because I have a heavy use of my MBP (both work and personal).

6. malu05a macrumors member

I had sticky keys and some keys that started registering twice at random. (really annoying because i do alot of coding, and thus typing like a maniac)
    I called Apple and got a service appointment, but i ended up not going, because after doing this a few times: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662 I have not had a single issue with my keys for 4 months straight.

I just hope it lasts.

7. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I hear if you do the Texas Two-Step while performing the actions described in your link, there is a 30% greater chance of success. Would explain why Apple’s repair depot is in Austin...

8. Mortis360 macrumors regular

After my last keyboard repair in August they seem to have replaced it with a 2017 keyboard, since it got a different layout and feels a bit different.

9. Super Xander thread starter macrumors regular

Super Xander

Is your machine from 2016 and have the new key-caps?
    I asked specific to get the new 2017 top case (they even wrote it down on the paper to the ones making it), but they said it was impossible to get the exact same as the 2017 one. I got the same key-caps as I see, but really think it is the 2017 slightly different mechanism, even that this so far is the record of time without using air-spray and getting a replacement.

10. Mortis360 macrumors regular

Yes, its a 2016 machine with the new upgraded keys at least, there is no "alt" text on the option keys anymore, just a symbol instead. This was the 2nd time it was in for keyboard repairs due to repeated B keypresses with just one press.

11. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

I just got my 2016 15" back today from repair (again). The top case was replaced with the new keys. It sounds lower in pitch and feels better than the original one. I didn't realize the difference until I used a 2017 at work and right away noticed it felt better.

Hopefully this one works out in the long term. So far I really like it compared to the original. The bonus was getting a new battery, so I kind of got 90 cycles for free on this machine.

12. Naimfan Suspended

Naimfan

Mine should be coming back today from keyboard replacement. Hope it helped.