Replaced LCD on iPhone 3G, still having problems

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by illmatik, May 27, 2010.

1. illmatik macrumors newbie

My friend had dropped his iPhone 3G. The screen was stuck white, yet it still functioned just fine. It even reacted to touch perfectly, it's just the screen was stuck white. He got a new iPhone and I purchased this broken one from him.

My iPhone 3G had a huge amount of problems. The lock button is broken, there's no sound out of the ear-speaker, it crashes at random and more. My LCD however was just fine. So I put my LCD in his and it worked great. For a day it felt like I had a brand new iPhone, it worked perfectly.

However the next morning I noticed the screen was white, again! This time if I lightly tapped the touchscreen it would flicker on and off and show a little bit of the display, but eventually it faded to white and got stuck there. This is where I am now, as if I had never replaced his LCD. Just to see what's going on, I took my good LCD out and put it back in my original iPhone, and it's white! Did his iPhone break my LCD? How?

I was very careful with disassembling and reassembling it... it had not been dropped or mishandled. It worked great for a day! What happened?

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

No a phone can't break an LCD unless there is a physical fault on the connector on the board. You might just be unlucky - even if you are careful (and I am very careful since I fix these things alot), you can get white screen simply by flexing the ribbon on the LCD if it has a broken wire in it. Just check the connector on the board to make sure there is nothing broken there which is causing the connector on the LCD to break e.g. maybe a badly mangled 'pin'.