Replaced logic board = better sound ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by css136, Mar 9, 2010.

1. css136 macrumors member

i just had my logic board replaced and now my sound is one thousand times better! but i didnt know that replacing the logic board would improve the sound quality so much?? am i just making this up? my girlfriend mentioned it without me bringing it up, so it's not just me!

just curious how it works. oh and also i should just say.. apple's customer service is the best! i've had my superdrive, AC adapter cable, and graphics card (logic board) replaced all without any trouble... it's kind of bad that all these parts failed in the first place, but the service is awesome!

oh and now my Wi-Fi is definitely 100% better (as i am connected in a room of the house that NEVER worked before),, WHAT HAPPENED?!?!

2. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

the logic board shouldn't have a big effect on sound. According to what apple tells me every time they fix my computer. The left in/out board and also reformatting your drive with a fresh instal should improve sound the most

3. JacaByte macrumors 6502

Absolute hogwash; if there was something wrong with the logic board, guess what it could effect? The sound inputs/outputs, easily, because all the hardware used to drive the sound and the ports themselves are soldered into the logic board.

Reinstalling the OS will not make a pinch of difference; OS X will use the same kexts to drive the sound no matter what, and for that reason it should always sound the same no matter what version of the OS you use. The alignment of the planets are more likely to make a difference.

4. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

The only thing not 100% wrong in this post is "the left in/out board", and that only misses the cut because it doesn't even make sense. Do you mean the part that contains all the audio (and other) connections on the left side of the computer? Because that's...a part of the logic board.

5. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

On my SR mbp the left in/out board is the main thing that affects your sound
    http://www.welovemacs.com/9228040.html. Its not physically part of the logic board. its only connected to it. Obviously if there is a major logic board problem it could affect sound

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

The sound on mine seems to have gotten worse in the time I've had it. The background noise is really noticeable, and quiet sounds (usually fade-in or fade-out) are sometimes amplified and distorted. Part of the problem is that my headphones are very sensitive, but it wasn't as bad when I got these headphones.

It's possible that some component in the sound circuitry was degraded, or some other component on the logic board is creating noise that is being picked up by the sound circuit. For me the noise is independent of whether or not the Magsafe is plugged in, but the Magsafe itself is making audible noise.

I wonder if a big filtering capacitor could be added somewhere. I wouldn't want to risk frying my logic board trying it, though.