Replaced logic board, now laptop won't turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ayoooojay, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ayoooojay macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before, I am new to the forums. So here's my story:

I drop some liquid on the laptop a few weeks ago, I tried drying it up as quick as possible but it was too late. The laptop still turned on, but the screen was very dimmed and couldn't be adjusted.

So I went ahead and ordered a used logic board off eBay (A1369). I got it and put everything together. After putting everything together, when I hit the power buttons, the only thing that happens is the fan comes on. It come on and spins for about 5 seconds and turned off, then it comes on again. This happens a few times and then the fan spins rapidly non-stop. The only way it would stop it's if I unplug the power cable going to the board.

Anybody knows what can be causing this. It's an Air Late 2010.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you

2. calvol macrumors 6502a

2010 Air is a good machine, worth saving. See if you can get into the hardware test-- Hold D key while starting…

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

If not, I would check connectors again on the board. Also, try plugging in an external monitor and see if anything appears during startup.

Did you put the old SSD back on the new board?

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Have you tried an SMC or PRAM reset? Both have helped me after replacing components.

4. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

5. ayoooojay thread starter macrumors newbie

I will do this. Will keep you posted.

----------

How do I perform those?

----------

Not yet :(

6. Mr Rabbit macrumors 6502a

Mr Rabbit

They will likely refuse service, beyond a diagnosis at the Genius Bar, since it wasn't repaired by them or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (AASP). A better bet would be to find an AASP to take it to, they follow Apple's guidelines for warranty repairs but typically don't have nearly as strict guidelines in situations like this.

I agree with trying the SMC reset, this is a common fix for fans spinning on high behavior anyway. On your Mac you will do the following:
    • Connect your MagSafe power adapter if it's not already connected, to the wall and to the Mac.
    • Press and hold the following keys all at once. Left shift key + Control + Option + Power
    • Hold those 4 keys/buttons for approximately 3-5 seconds. You might notice the power adapter LED change from orange to green, or vice versa. Release all the keys at the same time.
    • Wait approximately 5 seconds
    • Press the power button to power on as normal.

If that has no effect then I would first try re-seating any and all connections to the logic board. If the issue persists I would try to isolate the components, meaning disconnect non-essential parts. With other Macs you have several extra components, however with yours all I can think of off the top of my head are the SSD and Airport card. If you get the POST chime once those components are removed then re-install one, then the other, checking to see if it chimes in between each step.

Did you follow usual ESD precautions with the replacement? Wear a grounded ESD wristband, grounded ESD workmat, etc? The symptoms you describe often come back to a failed logic board, which I'm hoping isn't the case here.

7. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

eBay is to finding logic boards what craigslist is to finding a great staff.