Replaced Macbook air Display panel, USB - Camera not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by kayleee, Oct 30, 2015.

1. kayleee macrumors regular

Recently...my brother stepped hard on my macbook air diaplay panel....the entire panel was replaced by a local vendor

I got my macbook air screen replaced by a local vendor(my macbook sir was/is still under warranty) for $350, while apple quoted $800...the local vendor had my same macbook air model with him, he detached the display from that model and put it on mine! ....an it started working...

This is just to say its an original Apple full panel, for the same model...

Now, being still under warranty, my USB port doesnt work, my front camera does not work
    (just as a side note, the front camera did not work even before replacement,,i was very lazy to not report to apply for a repair) ...

Now, when i go to apple for these repairs .still under warrantyl, will they repair for free?

does the display panel have a serial code or something where they can tell that it has been FULL replaced?

Will they not know anything about it and repair my macbook?

Btw its 2013 macbook

thoughts?

2. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

Just buy a screwdriver, carefully unscrew all the screws from the bottom cover and visually inspect if all the connectors are properly secured in place.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

If the screen was replaced by a non-Apple shop, your warranty is void; they won't fix the camera and likely won't touch the usb issue.

4. SmOgER, Oct 31, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2015

SmOgER macrumors 6502a

In theory yes, but if the screws are not stripped and everything will be properly connected as it was when he hands the computer to Apple, there shouldn't be any problems.

In either case, if that not working USB port is on the left side (along with magsafe connector), then it's a fairly straight forward quick repair involving replacing I/O board (in case it's not covered, used I/O board on ebay is about $50). Yet if the port on the RIGHT doesn't work, most likely the whole motherboard needs to be replaced and that's painful.

PS. Against all the stereotypes, MBA is actually one the most easy laptops to repair it DIY, excluding jobs involving replacing matrica (not the whole lcd assembly) and keyboard (not the whole aluminum chassis), jobs that official Apple service doesn't do anyways. The most important part is to be careful with the screws and not strip them, cause most of them are really very fragile.