Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rsmcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Hi,
As most of you know, Macs have temperature sensors.

In my early 2008 15" macbook pro, the hard drive has a built in temperature sensor. I recently replaced the hard drive with a new one...

The new one doesn't have a sensor in it. My computer now reads the temperature from the hard drive as 0º Celsius, which is the temperature at which water freezes. It is not that cold in my house, let alone a MacBook Pro with millions of transistors.

Because my computer thinks that my hard drive temp is 0º, it does not think that it has to cool my computer down. This then leads to my computer over-heating, and coming to a few degrees away from what is supposedly the temperature at which the system will automatically shut down: 200ºf

Any ideas as to how to trick the computer into thinking that the Hard Drive temp is maybe around 90ºF?

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Hmm, are the fans for the system running at full or are they running slowly? I wouldn't think that the hard drive temperature would affect the other fans of the system. If the fans are not ramping up automatically as the system gets hotter you could try SMCfancontrol. And Macs don't automatically shut down at 200F last I checked, my MacBook Air has gotten to 210ºF before and still ran.

rsmcool

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2009
Hmm, are the fans for the system running at full or are they running slowly? I wouldn't think that the hard drive temperature would affect the other fans of the system. If the fans are not ramping up automatically as the system gets hotter you could try SMCfancontrol. And Macs don't automatically shut down at 200F last I checked, my MacBook Air has gotten to 210ºF before and still ran.

Sorry, what I meant is that they are rated to withstand up to 200. they SHUT DOWN at much higher.

Fans are slow, computer is hot. I've tried SMC fan, but it there an actual way to trick the computer into thinking that the hard drive is a certain temperature?

Wow, ur MBA must've been cookin'! 210º???? 212ºF is when water starts to boil!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
Sorry, what I meant is that they are rated to withstand up to 200. they SHUT DOWN at much higher.

Fans are slow, computer is hot. I've tried SMC fan, but it there an actual way to trick the computer into thinking that the hard drive is a certain temperature?

Wow, ur MBA must've been cookin'! 210º???? 212ºF is when water starts to boil!

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. As a general rule I usually have my MacBook Pro fans at 4000RPM, as it keeps it a lot cooler but doesn't increase the noise much. I have three presets, 2000RPM, 4000RPM, and 6000RPM depending on the apps I'm using. The MacBook Pro's sensor really isn't that smart so you do kind of have to set it yourself so you don't burn any body parts. (Yeah, I brought out the laptop cooling pad once it hit 190ºF and didn't rest my hands on the palmrest when it hit 200ºF)

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,147
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.