Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robg54

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I had best buy replace my 160 Gig hard drive in my 2.2 SR Macbook pro and I can't get my computer to work.

I got the WD blue 500bg hd. It was installed. I had a fresh time machine backup. I had an install cd for OSX 10.1 (which I figured would be OK untill I was able to get to my parents home and reinstall 10.5 in a few days) and an external enclosure for the old hard drive.

Well, when the machine is turned on, the screen turns white.

First I tried the time machine backup drive. I start the computer with the time machine drive pluged in. It doesn't work whether I turn the machine on pressing the option key or nothing. If I turn it on with the 10.1 install cd in the hard drive, it doesn't register.

So i put my old hard drive in an enclosure and tried booting off of that. I plug the enclosure into a usb port and then turn the cumputer on holding the option key. It won't recognize the external had drive either. The mouse pointer becomes visible, but no disk options are displayed. I don't get it. I don't see how my hard drive that was the computer's main HD untill yesterday would not be bootable. Did they just mess something up?

Is there something I am doing wrong? ANy way to trouble shoot this issue? Should my time machine backup be bootable?

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
Should have left it to the pros, that is why Apple charge a premium to upgrade these things. You have learnt a hard expensive valuable lesson.

Robg54

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I would have let apple upgrade my hard drive, but they refused to do it. The Genius bar won't do hard drive upgrades.

If you are saying I should have let apple upgrade my hard drive when I purchased it, then you didn't really read my post. This is a SR 2.2 MBP. It had a 120 gig hd base. I DID have apple upgrade the hard drive when I bought it years ago.

I didn't replace the hard drive myself. I brought it to an authorized service place.

All I did was what they wouldn't do for me: restore all my files. And I have been having a hell of a time doing it.

May I ask what you think I should have done instead?

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Is OS X 10.1 what came with your computer? You must use original install disks that came with your Mac or retail disk. Hold "C" when booting so it'll boot from disk.

shambo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2009
I would have let apple upgrade my hard drive, but they refused to do it. The Genius bar won't do hard drive upgrades.

If you are saying I should have let apple upgrade my hard drive when I purchased it, then you didn't really read my post. This is a SR 2.2 MBP. It had a 120 gig hd base. I DID have apple upgrade the hard drive when I bought it years ago.

I didn't replace the hard drive myself. I brought it to an authorized service place.

All I did was what they wouldn't do for me: restore all my files. And I have been having a hell of a time doing it.

May I ask what you think I should have done instead?

Apple won't upgrade HDD? Seriously is that true as it's news to me. :confused:

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What happened to the original HDD? If it is still working, I'd try to put that back and see what happens. If it doesn't fix anything or the old HDD is not working, then the only other option is to bring it back to Best Buy (Geek Squad, ouch...) and tell them to correct the problem. Hopefully they are authorized Apple service providers (not all Best Buy/Geek Squad are). If they did mess something up, they will have to correct the problem.

Robg54

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
I was told they are authorized apple service technicians. And they are the only ones within convenient driving distance from me.

I paid the stupid $50 (which seemed standard between them and other authorized service places that I could have driven to).

I don't have my computer's install CD on me. (I was going to get it tomorrow or the day after). But clearly something is messed up. Now it won't even start. It wouldn't recognize any hard drive whatsoever.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I was told they are authorized apple service technicians. And they are the only ones within convenient driving distance from me.

I paid the stupid $50 (which seemed standard between them and other authorized service places that I could have driven to).

I don't have my computer's install CD on me. (I was going to get it tomorrow or the day after). But clearly something is messed up. Now it won't even start. It wouldn't recognize any hard drive whatsoever.

If that's the case, I would bring it back to them. You had a computer that worked and after the upgrade it didn't. So right now it looks like it's their responsibility to fix it for you since you paid the money for it.

frenetic

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2004
Amsterdam
Your computer wil only start up from a cd that:
- came with it when you bought it, or
- is a general OSX cd that was issued after your computer came on the market.

What you are now trying to do is to install OSX 10.1 on a computer that did not exist at the time. Hence, os X does not recognise the computer.

As people have said before, you will have to use the cd that came with your mac, or a later one.

Moreover, if you want to make use of Time Machine, it will have to be at least 10.5, since that feature was only introduced in 10.5.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.