Replaced MBP Logic Board, Password Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ::Lisa::, Mar 11, 2008.

1. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

Hi all,

I just got my MBP back from KRCS after this issue. They said they couldn't get it to go 'wrong' as it did in my pictures while it was there so don't know exactly what was wrong with it. Although, the keyboard did stop working in their care (was fine w/ me).

Anyway, they replaced the logic board and now everytime I start my MBP it pops up with the password utility asking for a password. They said just hit enter and it'll go away but said it will now come up EVERYTIME my computer starts up. I'm disappointed in that. Is there a way I can stop that? I really don't want that popping up everytime. :(

Thanks in advance.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You need to check your security settings. Perhaps is is your keychain that needs to be set to unlock when you login. Does your computer Auto-Login?

TEG

3. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm not totally sure, but you may be seeing the firmware password screen. You should be able to turn that off by booting up to your install disks and changing the firmware password settings.

4. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to the both of you for posting. Answering...

It used to auto login yes. She (lady at KRCS) said that because they put a new Logic Board in that it would ask for a password everytime it started up because of that. I'm not happy with that answer, surely must be a way around it.

I've checked "security" it doesn't have automatic login disabled, looks fine there. I've looked in Keychain access, but no idea what I'm looking for, please could you explain? Thanks again.

It looks like the login screen to me. It has login on the bottom right. Infact I took a photo *attached*

Attached Files:

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Boot up from an install disc, go to the menubar and IIRC, there is a password reset utility.

edit: ah reread the problem. refer below..

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Turn off Automatic Login, restart, then turn it back on. The preference seems to be borked.

TEG

7. ::Lisa:: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. Forgot about this and wanted to update the outcome. I did what you said, re: unchecking and checking the box, didn't solve the problem so I took a rather drastic option and did a complete erase and install then used my time machine data to put everything back to how it was. Worked perfectly and now doesn't prompt me anymore.