Replaced motherboard and screen on MBPro 2016

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dapork, Jun 2, 2018.

1. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

Hey everyone, a couple months ago I posted about the screen on my late 2016 MBPro going black constantly. I ended up having to send it to the store I bought it from in France for them to fix it. They ended up replacing both the motherboard and screen and finally, after two months, I have my computer again.

The reason I'm posting is because I still have no idea what happened. I never dropped or mistreated the computer. It's just a problem that began to reoccur more and more frequently until it was unusable. I sent the computer to a family friend who works in the Apple store where I bought it, and I asked him repeatedly what might've caused the problem just so that I can avoid it in the future, but I've received no reply.

Does anyone have the slightest idea as to why or how something like this happened? I'm adamant about this because it's a 2k+ investment and if this happens again when the warranty's up then I'm just **** out of luck. I could even accept the explanation that this kind of hardware failure is unforeseeable and unpreventable but I haven't even been told that. I also found no one with a similar problem.

2. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

Why you had to send it back to France for repair?
    You could bring it in any Apple shop or Apple Authorized Service Providers and it would be done in no more than 5-7 days.

My guess is that the shop where you sent it didn't have a clue what's wrong with it and that's why they replaced both lcd and logic board.

3. dapork thread starter macrumors regular

dapork

That's what I think too. I sent it back to France cause in Europe what you describe is only valid in the first year of warranty; in the second year it has to be the original store. Pain in the ass but if I had it fixed here in Greece it would've been over 1k cause they've would've done the same replacements.

4. giffut macrumors 6502

The Macbook Pro 2016/2017 series is prone to have GPU hardware failures, as the thermal managment is insufficient to cool it according to even average usage. Your description indicates such failure; the repair done does so, too.

5. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

What? The only failures I've heard about on the 16/17 models are keyboard failures. Heard nothing of GPU failures, let alone them being "prone" to happen on the 16/17 models. Where are you getting your information from?

6. DeanPSN macrumors regular

DeanPSN

You're right, i don't know where he got this information, but the 2016 or 2017 doesn't have GPU or temperature issues. In fact, the 15" models runs much cooler than the 2015 models.