Replaced my HD and am still facing problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spaceboots06, Jul 11, 2012.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Hi all,

So about a month ago or so my hard drive fried in my uMBP 13" ~2009ish maybe. I was using Snow Leopard at the time. Anyway, I used Disk Warrior and surprisingly was able to recover just about everything.

A few days ago I decided it was time to get my laptop working again and purchased a Seagate 500gb hard drive. It can be seen here: http://goo.gl/ZMld I also purchased Lion from the App Store and burned it to a disc.

Today I swapped out the hard drives, fired up the disc and recieved a cannot download additional components error. I thought about jumping out of my window, but decided not to.

This led me to making a USB stick with Lion, and I gave that a shot but recieved the same error as well.

I clicked on every single webpage dealing with downloading Lion components at least twice and there was nothing that solved my problem. I'm connected to the Internet, my MacBook has the original RAM, I tried multiple ways of installing Lion. I don't have Apple Care, and I don't have a time machine backup or whatever. I also don't have the Snow Leopard disc. I'd expect to be able to install this operating system with no problem even without having old CDs or backups.

Does anyone have any advice for what I can try next? I'm very frustrated.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like it might not have been your hard drive in the first place. I've run into several computers recently with bad hard drive data cables, which cause very similar symptoms. They're a cheap part if you can find one, or even if you take it to the Apple Store. I would guess that's the problem, and should be easy enough to find out.

jW

3. spaceboots06 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Well, I acquired Snow Leopard and was able to get my computer up and running. I tried again installing Lion while using the Snow Leopard OS and am still greeted with the same issue. I wonder if I'd be able to get my $30 back because of all this BS I'm going through...