Replaced my Late 2011 MBP with 2013 rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BuRdTuRd, Nov 24, 2013.

1. BuRdTuRd, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

BuRdTuRd macrumors newbie

Had a best buy warranty, my late 2011 MBP had a HD and graphics card failure. They told me that they were going to junk it and give me store credit for a new one. I just need to know if this is worth it in terms of specs.

So my old MBP - i7, 2.2ghz, 500gb HD, radeon hd 7650m, intel hd graphics 300, 8gb ram.

The new one - i7, 2.0ghz, 256gb SSD, Iris pro graphics, 8gb ram, no disk drive, no firewire (I literally just bought a firewire external drive before the old HD failure)

Basically just asking should I keep the new one, or return it? Is the Iris pro better than what I had in the old mac? I'm not too bright when it comes to technical specs, so if someone can enlighten me then thank you very much.

2. Doward macrumors 6502a

I'd make the argument that I had discrete graphics - I'm going to need a discrete graphics model, please.

3. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I'd take it without hesitation. From a three year old computer, getting a new one for free. Lot of new technology most importantly SSD.

4. BuRdTuRd thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright so thats 1 person saying to return it and try and get the one with the dedicated graphics, and one saying to keep it. If they won't give me a retina with dedicated graphics, would an older model (the one I had) with dedicated be better than this retina with only the Iris Pro 5200?

5. undesign macrumors regular

LOL, won't happen. Apple's effectively limited consumer choice even more by adding discrete graphics ONLY to their high end model. He's not going to get a $3000 store credit.

Don't be surprised if they completely kill any discrete graphics with next years MacBook Pro.

6. Doward macrumors 6502a

What do you lose to ask?

You never know - the HD6770 in my late 2011 MBP is ~20% faster than Iris Pro 5200. I certainly would not be willing to take a cut in performance.

That's why I bought the warranty after all - if they decide not to cover the cost of repairs, they are obligated to replace the system with a similar system - and Iris Pro is not similar to discrete graphics.

He's not trying to go from integrated to discrete - merely trying to keep himself at the same level as before. The OP certainly didn't ask for a new machine!

7. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

try to upwell yourself for the 750m model. If not you might want to pay the difference. Being stuck with integrated graphics for another 3 yrs doesn't sound too pleasing with me. Especially since I'm coming from a dedicated GPU to begin with.

8. BuRdTuRd, Nov 25, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

BuRdTuRd thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn right I didn't ask for less machine at the same price haha. I'm going back tomorrow to return it and try to argue that this wasn't a fair deal. I paid more for non-base model, I shouldn't receive a base model as a replacement. I'll let you guys know how this goes tomorrow afternoon.

9. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

I bet you that they will mention depreciation, current market price, or lowest price your model was sold.

10. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

This. I'm actually surprised they were even willing to give you the new 15" rMBP considering the low value that your previous model would currently fetch.

11. BuRdTuRd thread starter macrumors newbie

Current value doesn't matter, it's what the purchase price was. They were supposed to give me an identical computer or newer model if that was out of stock.

12. sinc26 macrumors newbie

Are you certain the HD 6770M is faster than the Iris Pro 5200? Unless if the rMBP 15 suffers from excessive throttling/TDP limits I'm not aware of, the Iris Pro should be noticeably faster.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's unlikely that the warranty specifies anything like that. It's more likely that they go by price. You cannot expect a retailer to accommodate Apple's design changes. Even if you really wanted to argue it, there's probably a disclaimer somewhere that mentions an "up to" value.

That's entirely possible. I mean you probably looked at the warranty terms. Most warranties don't work that way, so it takes people by surprise.

14. yangchewren macrumors regular

Exactly this. Most warranties by big box/electronics stores usually are structured like insurance plans or are handled by insurance companies, no repairs, but compensation. So make the best of your "budget" and try to get the 750m MBP.

According to mactracker your model retailed for $2199.

15. Doward macrumors 6502a

2D performance of the Iris Pro is faster, yes. Break out gaming, though, and it's a different story ;)