replaced my Macbook HDD how do I format the old to use as external?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chimpboy74, Jan 18, 2010.

1. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

Hi
    I have replaced my HDD in my macbook succesfully. I bought an enclosure for the old drive. How can I format it to use it as an external drive?

whenever i connect to a PC or the macbook the light comes on on the drive but nothing happens (well on my PC it recognises something new has been attached but when I navigate to it it says nothing is there)

I have searched apples support forum and couldnt find anything and couldnt find much on here either. If there is some advice or a ink to another answer on this forum I would appreciate help!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Connect it to your Mac and open Disk Utility
    Select the drive in the left hand column and choose to erase it and select the format you want to use

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

Try using Disk Utility under the Applications folder. Select the external HDD in the left menu. Select partition from the top menu options. Select how much of the HDD you want partitioned (i.e. 100% or 50% Mac; 50% Windows). For the MAC, partition the drive using Mac OS Extended (Journalized). Your Mac should recognize it after you partition it. I have heard there are some HDD enclosures that will not work with Mac. I have not experienced this. Partitioning it should solve your problem. See screen shot below.

4. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

thanks for this. The drive doesnt show up in disk utility though (maybe not connected in the enclosure correctly perhaps?)

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

if the connection is working, ie all electronics match up, then it should show up.

6. chimpboy74 thread starter macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

fixed it!
    I dismantled the enclosure and rebuilt and it works now, used disk utility and all sorted. thanks for the advice!

7. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

When I put a new HD in my MBP I then used the old HD as a back up. I have used Carbon Cloner and created a copy of my internal HD onto the external so I can have a bootable HD should my new internal HD ever crash.