replaced PPC G5 Quad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by myusername, Jan 16, 2009.

1. myusername macrumors member

myusername

Just over 3 years ago I bought the last PPC Tower available, the 2.5Ghz G5 Quad. It went in for a warranty repair and can't be fixed so Apple is replacing it. The only question I have is what model do you think I will get, when I bought the G5 it was the top of the line model, I really don't want the "base" model MacPro given that it will be the first model to disappear when they update.
    I bought the 2.5Ghz G5 Quad knowing that it was the best model available at the time, so do you think I will be getting the base model 2.8 Quad-Core or would they replace it with the top Mac Pro model with the 3.2 Quad-Core. I see the price difference but at the same time I bought the best and I think I should still get the best as a replacement.

-r

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Let's just wait and see what they'll be selling once the lineup is refreshed this year. I also still use the Quad and am waiting for a great new product to buy...

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes, but even the base model is a significant speed upgrade from a 3-year-old machine. You're getting a free, brand-new computer under warranty. I don't see that you have much to complain about.

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Apple replaced my multi-failed lemon dual 2.5 G5 just after my AppleCare ran out and they gave me the "standard" dual quad-core 2.8 MacPro that you see in the Apple store. I was very happy with their decision.

Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processors
    2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully-buffered DIMM ECC)
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT graphics with 256MB memory
    320GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7200-rpm hard drive1
    16x double-layer SuperDrive

5. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

If they replace it will ANYTHING newer than your G5, I dont see how you could complain...

6. myusername thread starter macrumors member

myusername

AppleCare

Apple sells things as a good, better, best, there's usually three models. What I'm hoping is that they will replace best for best. I'm under the impression that is isn't a $$$ thing, it's the comparable model for comparable model. Yeah I'd be ok with the base 2.8 but that is the "good" model which is replacing my "best" model. Yeah I'd be ok with the base model but that's the first model that gets bumped off the list and I want this computer to last as long if not longer. As far as being happy with the replacement what about the 4 gigs of unusable ram & the 2nd graphics card that I installed and can't use in the new MacPro.

-r

7. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Hmm....

When Apple replaced my iBook 14"...it was the highest line iBook you could get. They replaced it with a MacBook. I payed I think like $1299...same price as a mid model white MB. I think that they do it on price, not on good, better, best. If they did that, I would have gotten a Blackbook. I think you should expect something in your paying price range. If you payed like $3000 for your PM, I think you will get the base with maybe some extra RAM or HDD.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

No matter what you get, it will be faster. btw, when they update, all 3 will disappear.

PRO TIP: When someone or some corporate entity gives you a free $2800 computer, don't complain that they didn't give you the $4400 one instead. It makes you look like a jack***

P.S. - If you don't want your 2.8Ghz Octocore Mac Pro, or feel like just rejecting it on principle, I'll take it.

9. myusername thread starter macrumors member

myusername

It's official, I got the 2.8 Mac Pro. AppleCare added a second video card since I cannot use the one that I bought for my G5.

I'm happy with their decision and their explanation of the process is understandable. I'm buying (2) 1 TB drives and 4 gigs of ram today. and my system will be back up and running in about week.

For everyone who thought i was complaining I wasn't, wishful or hopeful thinking. I've never had this happen and was looking for some guidance from others what the outcome could be. Yeah I hoped for the best but like I said I agree with AppleCare and their reasons, and totally respect Apple for replacing it with the 2.8 which is better in every aspect from the Quad 2.5.

-r