Replaced Raid Hard Drive, How to Restore?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by thomamon, Jan 11, 2016.

1. thomamon macrumors 6502a

thomamon

So basically one of my LaCie 2big drives went, I contacted them and they sent me a replacement that I hot swapped. I called them up to have them help me install it, but they are saying with El Capitan, Apple removed the ability to create the raid in disk utility. They gave me instructions on how to do it in Terminal, but they said it would wipe out both drives. (Here are the instructions: http://knowledge.lacie.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/007650en?language=en_US&wwwlocale=en-ca)

Does anyone know if this is true and if there is anyway I can do this without losing everything? I am currently backing it up to another drive. Just looking for an easier way to do it.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You could restore Yosemite DU into El-Cap.
    I've done this myself, I renamed Yosemite DU so I could have both versions available when needed.
    My reason for doing this was the same as yours, I needed to manage a raid system I use for TM backups.

3. leman macrumors 604

4. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

5. leman macrumors 604

Then we must have a different El Capitan installation. Sure, they have removed the UI fronted, but the terminal command is still there. Again, I have linked you the manual, instructions written there are pretty clear.

6. chrfr macrumors 603

Although the link to the man page is for the 10.9 version of diskutil, the commands involving "repairMirror" have not changed in 10.11.x.

7. thomamon, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016

thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

I don't see instructions? I am afraid I would lose everything on the other drive!

8. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

"Love" is good! :D

9. thomamon thread starter macrumors 6502a

thomamon

LOL, Fixed!